Pause scheduled payments

Is there a way to pause scheduled payments between pots? If not there should be!

So, live example. I have a ‘Travel’ pot that I use to pay for my weekly travel expenses. I have a scheduled payment from my Travel pot into my main pot each week to cover costs. However, when I am away or on holiday, I don’t have any need to transfer that money across. I don’t want to stop the scheduled payment, just pause it for the week or two I am away.

Would love to know if this is possible? Or if not, do you think Monzo would consider it?

1 Like

C̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶?̶

Ignore me, I’m wrong - sorry!

I really really want this.

I have scheduled payments that go into pots, that towards the end of the month aren’t as important enough to let my balance drop to zero.

I would like to be able to pause them, so I don’t end up with 0.00 at the end of the month which is what happens currently.

It would also allow me to prioritise my pots such as bills.

You can’t edit pot scheduled transfers :worried:

Yep sorry you’re right - I didn’t read the question properly. My bad :pensive:

I’ve edited my reply.

Same idea but I’d love to be able to skip the next payment and have normal service resume after that without me having to tell it to start again.

1 Like

Off the top of my head, the only way I can think of achieving this is using a repeating google calendar entry to trigger the payment and then deleting the entries for the specific payment(s) you want to skip.

I’ve never tried it myself but I do use Google Sheets for a similar thing and it seems to be quite reliable.

I have all my scheduled payments at the start of the month - following the ‘pay yourself first’ principle. Then if I’m running short at the end of the month, I have the option of (a) pass on whatever I was intending to spend money on because the budget isn’t there, or (b) moving money back out of a pot to cover the spend.

That way works for me because most of my pots are for spreading large annual expenses, so when I take from a pot in that case, I’m effectively borrowing from future me and after my next payday will put the removed amount back in the pot as well as the usual transfer.

It works well for me, and helps me keep my budgeting on track. I’m actually saving money now, which I wasn’t before, and by using pots over the year for big bills, I’m finding I no longer have so many incredibly lean months (the one where car MOT, tax, and insurance all came at once used to be the worst. Not any more).

2 Likes

This feature has already been suggested. You can vote for it here:

I have a regular scheduled payment going out of my account, every week.

Due to lockdown the service cannot be performed, I need to pause the payments. But currently I have to cancel the scheduled payment and set it up again once the service can be resumed.

Or you can just edit the frequency.

Change it to ‘once’ and set the date to 2030… assuming of course we will be out of lockdown by then :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

@Ordog suggestion should work.

It is only scheduled payments to pots that have no Edit function.

Yeah ok, that will work thank you.

As a feature though, I think it would be nice to be able to place scheduled payments on ice.

Certainly - I just meant in the meantime to save you deleting and having to re-create it :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to vote for it. The button at the top of the page :point_up:

Thank you!

This would be super useful, had a few I needed to cancel and reset over Christmas.