Passed Monzo Interview, but no start date

Good morning everyone!:wave:

On the 23rd March I got an email from Monzo congratulating me for passing the COps interview (woohoo!:tada:). They said that with everything going on, they don’t have any start dates at the moment, but that I’d hear back from them in 2-3 weeks. It’s been over 3 weeks now and I’m starting to worry that they’ve forgotten about me :pleading_face:

I emailed last week to see if there was an update but haven’t heard back. I’d be working remotely from home and they explained that I could do my training remotely too due to the current climate.

Is anyone else in this situation too, or are there any lovely Monzo hiring staff around to point me in the right direction?
Thank you in advance! :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Do you have a contact number or someone to email?

I tried emailing the lady I was originally speaking to, but it wouldn’t go through because apparently they’re out of office until June!

Probably one for @simonb

Probably furloughed

Then it’s probably a message informing those still in the process. They’ll surely not be left wondering till June?

Remember, you’ve had two bank holidays in that time so maybe they’re running a couple of days behind? Good luck.

2 Likes

It’s been known that Monzo can delay start dates after job offers due to operating reasons. The example below (who is currently an employee) waited 3 months. As a lot of staff have been furloughed, you have unfortunately been caught between a rock and a hard place due to the current situation. Hold on as I’m sure it will be worth it!

2 Likes

Hey Emmy,

Unfortunately I can’t offer much more advice than to ask for your patience. There’s a lot going on right now but the team will get back to you as soon as possible :purple_heart:

9 Likes

Very poor form on their part, but highlighting their failures on a public forum as only a second course of action is brave (most positive word I could think of).

Personally i would just send an in app support message and ask for it to be directed to whoever is left steering the ship in recruitment, which would be private and professional, but each to their own!

9 Likes

Oops - would like to make it known I’m not trying to highlight any ‘failures’ because we all know everything is pretty hectic at the moment, just thought here would be a good place to go to be pointed in the right direction.

9 Likes

Thank you Simon! I’m more than happy to wait it out :blush: Hope you’re all coping well!:heart:

4 Likes

I work in recruitment for a large company in the hospitality sector (I’m not quite brave enough to name my employer in this context!) and we had hundreds of candidates in this position when we (eventually) closed the office last month. I’d imagine this is a common theme across most employers unfortunately.

1 Like

I interpreted your post as enthusiasm to start and using initiative to progress your query as Monzo hadn’t come back to you in the agreed timescale.

10 Likes

Although it’s unfortunate not to know, given that Monzo are furloughing people in the position you have applied for, and presumably you are yet to sign a contract, I wouldn’t expect to start any time soon. If it’s any consolation, my guess is you would be first in line when they start hiring again.

Hi Emmy!

I don’t work for Monzo but, from a recruiters perspective, I wouldn’t ‘worry’ if I was you at this stage (easy to say when it’s not me waiting in a job offer though).

Even in ‘normal’ times it’s not unusual for the recruitment process to take longer than expected. This is a totally unprecedented situation, up until we closed my office last month the situation was changing several times a day, and it was all but impossible to keep candidates 100% up to date all the time. I would imagine that it is similar in the Monzo offices.

Communication is also going to take a little longer than you’d expect as a lot of the team won’t be working at the moment.

I think you’ve done the right thing by following up and all you can do now is wait.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I’d agree with this (I’m afraid).

Only Monzo can actually tell you, but my understanding is that they have furloughed a lot of COps already, so I’d be very surprised if they brought new people into the business whilst existing, fully trained COps are sitting at home doing nothing.

Obviously Monzo are the only people that can tell you that, and if I were in your position, I’d absolutely want to know what the answer was so I could potentially start looking for another job (depending on circumstances).

Good Luck.

No

I think OP is polite enough, there was a guy having a tantrum last week that I’d have rejected purely because of his posts on here!

2 Likes

so they’re just on 2 months annual leave? Ok