Passcode for App

This has been suggested before, on iOS you can disable biometrics I.e. finger prints FaceID etc.

I did ask if Android could disable it like I can disable FaceID in Monzo via iOS settings, so can revert to a passcode so may be an option if you can?

I don’t want to turn it off because then anyone with my phone can access my bank account. Its a huge security flaw. I would just like a password so I can be safe without getting locked out. I keep little money in my Monzo account and don’t have any other banking apps on my phone because of this problem.

1 Like

Yes looks like an Android flaw then if it dosent allow you to disable biometrics per app, if you could do that then you could set a passowrd/pin code to access the Monzo App.

However, I have just noticed that if i disblee FaceId in iOS settings and load the app it auto logs in, if i go to settngs and security and privacy I have the option to enable touchid for authentication which if i try to enable it asks me for my pin which I enter then it falls back to the same screen and touch ID for authentication is still disabled, now I do have require touchid for unlock enabled but the app auto logs me in when it loads as I am on an iphone XR i do not actually have TouchID on the phone settings, so there is other issues based on phone model not just OS version

None of that solves my problem of not wanting to leave Monzo unprotected but getting locked out often from my thumbprint not being recognised though. I have an iPhone but an older one with no face ID and I’d have thought having the option of a password lock on a bank account app that money can be transferred from would be a fairly basic feature. Another solution would be to give me the option to turn off the feature that locks me out after too many failed thumb prints.

As it currently stands I have only two options, either allow anyone with access to my phone access to my bank account, or get locked out when I’m trying to use it sometimes. I’m sure I cannot be the only Monzo customer with an unreliable thumbprint reader and the only help Monzo can give when I’m locked out is to delete and redownload the app. Not ideal when I’m out of the house and needing to move money to buy something.

Nobody can do anything to the account either though, to pay someone via a bank transfer for example they would need ur PIN number.

3 Likes

Having the same issue as OP on android, why don’t Monzo just add a passcode alongside the biometric check? My Natwest app has the same issue with fingerprints as it’s a problem with the operating system generally but it just reverts to using a passcode if the fingerprint fails too often so I can still use my account.

This is why l still have a Natwest account since I can’t rely on the Monzo app not locking me out.

2 Likes

Because it doesn’t seem like an issue for many. In 2 years only 23 people have voted for this so they probably don’t see it as worthwhile doing.

1 Like

A fix for Samsung users at least, wet your finger every time before scanning it.

Samsung are reportedly replacing sensors in some customers phones due to the fault. For the others of us, make sure your finger isn’t too dry and the sensor works perfectly.

1 Like

God I hate my Samsung work phone piece of sh*t.

Face doesn’t match.
Face doesn’t match.
Fingerprint doesn’t match.
Face doesn’t match.

So apparently my face doesn’t match my own face :man_facepalming:t5:

Well, quite obviously my face is my face, it’s just your effing phone doesn’t work too well.

Can’t imagine why you don’t just use a PIN :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Monzo, as a matter of policy won’t do this! :unamused:

Next pixel phone release best hurry the bleep up, I’m missing my finger print reader :sob:

Careful! We’re at 27 now! :wink:

I still think it’s worthwhile investing the time to have something that’s independent from device security as an option for folks to use if they wish to.

I especially like @Rat_au_van’s suggestion of potentially using emoji for this. Though I’d be happy with either of the two most voted for options here:

The most recent update I can find on this is here:

Hopefully something they’ll still do at some point then.

1 Like

28 I forgot to vote, now where’s my pin lock feature :eyes:

1 Like

As for emoji passcodes, dear Monzo chat I tried my passcode of

:eggplant::sweat_drops::cucumber::sweat_drops::astonished:

It didn’t work, can you tell me why :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Because :eggplant::sweat_drops::clock1::disappointed:

2 Likes

Something tells me if we ever do get this functionality in the form of the emoji version, the keypad will be lacking an eggplant emoji…

1 Like

Ha ha imagine if it was part of a password over the phone, what’s the 1st and 2nd emoji please, well it’s erm an eggplant and a wet splash :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not sure the best place for this,

After adding a new fingerprint to my phone starling , revolut, Barclays and Aqua/newday all disabled biometrics and you have to enter the pin, I think this is a good idea that Monzo should implement.

2 Likes