Other Accounts in Monzo = not useful ;(

Why would you buy premium for an account you hardly use? Aren’t the majority of features going to be useless?

Surely if you just want Amex integration then you’d be best using their app and saving yourself some money.

I do use Monzo. But for online purchases you get better protection buying with a credit than debit.

My point is I would really like to use the spending tracking and budgeting features in Monzo but it isn’t useful unless all accounts you spend on allow categorisation of transactions.

2 Likes

That’s a reasonable point of view, although you seem to be mixing up Premium and Plus. In any case, if it doesn’t offer value to you, that’s fine.

I’m fairly sure it will be added eventually, or else people will just start to migrate to platforms which already offer this feature.

1 Like

The only material difference is Section 75 protection, which only applies to purchases over £100. This applies to online and in-person items, but general distance selling regs apply to all online purchases, no matter if bought by debit or credit.

1 Like

Connecting directly might have benefits but I don’t think use of someone like Truelayer, Plaid, or Saltedge as a go-between connector would have precluded Monzo from doing transaction enrichment. Other aggregators manage to do it whilst using these go-betweens.

I suspect the main potential benefit of connecting directly is it puts Monzo in control of fixing issues and introducing new connections rather than waiting for the go-between connector to do that job. I doubt it influences the data that gets passed through from the connected bank.

(am aware I’m replying to a 3-4 month old post, but have just noticed this thread with it coming back to life)

Thanks for pointing this out so yeah there is a material difference between buying something on a debit and credit card. I’m currently claiming on something faulty under section 75 that was purchased in 2016 and the manufacturer went out of business. This would not be covered if I had paid with a debit card.

You have to find this community quite hilarious. People make suggestions about how they would like to see Monzo develop and they get jumped on by the community for not using it “right”.

2 Likes

Who has “jumped on you” for not using it right? :confused:

Was simply pointing out that there are nuances attached to your original point that “you get better protection buying with a credit than debit” made with no context.

It wasn’t for your benefit necessarily, but often on forums such as these, where something isn’t an opinion, if it’s factually incorrect others can get confused. If you meant to highlight S75 you should’ve been explicit, or you will get people like me clarifying it for the rest of us.

There is no need to be defensive about a comment around your post. It’s all fine.

1 Like