Onedox discussion

I’ve been in two minds about Onedox in general, and integration with Monzo in particular.

I really like the concept and have signed up. But I just don’t use it. The Google doc integration is great - and it’s helped me with my filing - but I just don’t go to the website.

Now, Monzo is becoming the centre of my financial life and it’d be super cool to have Onedox like functionality in the app.

But taking a step back, I just don’t see how Onedox can make money. I’ll likely rely on comparison sites to switch. Integration with Monzo would make me use it, but I can’t see how the financials would work - both would be thing for the same referrals income.

If Monzo were a little down the line, I could see them maybe operating like big tech companies and acquihiring/acquiring smaller companies like Onedox where there’s a complementary piece of tech, but I’m just not sure on how they can coexist in terms of revenue at the moment.

Which is a big shame, because I’d love all this in my Monzo app.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve no idea how it would make money, but it would be awesome to have direct links from transactions to docs. Maybe OneDox could just charge an annual fee to Monzo, rather like I think IFTTT do?

1 Like

Only coming across onedox today. Fantastic idea and something i think the monzo marketplace should include to be honest down the line.

They’ve just released water bill support although only bill fetching with Thames water, the others are there but ‘manual data’ according to the email.

They seem to have stalled completely with new providers. I wonder whether they’re struggling already…

1 Like

I got an email from them a couple months back saying their idea didn’t work out so I’m not sure the project is even still alive.

Ahha, interesting. There were a lot of question marks, so not surprising, but a bit of a shame

They’ve now started collecting your MOT history, it’s alarming seeing now many times my car has failed!! So they are still adding to it and presumably seeking strategic investors in the background.

I find the tech they’ve built useful and should be worth something…

3 Likes

They’ve just pushed an update on Google Play and are now on the Starling marketplace (although it’s a pretty pointless integration at the moment, as it just shows your last bill…).

Some development happening though!

2 Likes

Oh, and trying to Launch it from Starling crashes the Starling app…

1 Like

No sign of it on iOS

Hilariously it has disappeared from the list of providers, but I’m still connected somehow…

android

Maybe it was enabled by accident or only for a small number of people and then perhaps pulled because of problems…

Sounds like we know the first challenger using their API now.

1 Like

It looks like the StarlingBank integration is not available for joint accounts yet but it will get there! Interesting… Looks ok so far.

IMG_4843

1 Like

Did we ever hear what happened to the tie-up with Monzo?

Can’t understand… why I need to link my bank account to this application? What are benefits?

Yes, I’m sure Simon updated us somewhere. I’ll hunt…

Edit - here it is:

This kind of links to the forum post about car registration, but it would be really good if Monzo could fully integrate withe Onedox app which stores all insurance, council tax, car tax and utilities info.

2 Likes

I asked for this too but got this reply August 2018:

4 Likes

Onedox are now going to be charging £30 per year or £3 a month for their service unless you refer friends :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

So, we’re about to fold, please give us 30 quid…
:man_shrugging:

They should never have bothered with the app and should just have focused on becoming the Truelayer of utilities, IMO.

Edit: I didn’t include the photo at the end of the CEO with his kid, which I think was a terrible idea and really inappropriate. Also, is the group photo photoshopped?! They were probably in the Caymans or something and didn’t want to let on :joy:

I’ll be honest… this isn’t an email that I ever wanted to have to write…

In brief: From October 1st, we will start charging a small fee for usage of Onedox. But, by referring friends, you can continue to get Onedox for free. Head to the new Onedox Referrals screen to find out how…

Refer friends to Onedox

To understand more about this decision, please read on…

It’s been over four years since Hugh, Rick and I first started work on Onedox. In that time, we’ve brought together an incredibly talented team to create award-winning technology that helps people get better control over their domestic affairs, and saves them precious time and money.

We’ve grown to tens of thousands of customers from whom we receive inspiring feedback and positive reviews, and who have found the service extremely helpful in managing their busy lives.

Unfortunately, Onedox is an expensive service to run and we simply can’t afford to keep it going without it covering its costs. And so despite our best efforts to bring in more investment, we’re pretty much out of time.

Where does that leave us?

In an effort to ensure no stone is unturned in figuring out whether we could continue to operate Onedox, we’d like to enlist your help to try and find a solution:

Firstly , from October 1st, Onedox will become a paid-for service costing £3 per month, or £30 per year on an annual plan.

Secondly , instead of paying for Onedox, you can help us reach more customers: for each person that joins Onedox using your referral, you will receive a free month of Onedox. + As a special bonus for referrals made before 1st October we are tripling the reward to 3 months for each referral! So hurry!

If we get enough new people subscribing to Onedox, then it might be enough for us to maintain the service…

So, there are two things you can do to help Onedox:

#1 Refer friends to Onedox and earn rewards…

Refer friends to Onedox

Invite your friends, family, colleagues, anyone you know (or don’t know!) to sign up for Onedox. As well as you getting your own reward (tripled in September!), each person that you refer will also receive one month of free Onedox.

and/or:

#2 Pay for your usage of Onedox by subscribing…

Subscribe for a Onedox account on a monthly or annual plan (you get a 20% saving by paying for 12 months up front). We truly appreciate the support. Get started here…

Subscribe to Onedox

If you decide not to continue using Onedox, by paying for it or referring friends, your accounts will stop updating and you will not receive automated alerts or reminders from Onedox.

So that you are able to export and download your Onedox data, we’ll continue to securely store the existing information for a period of time. This way we hope to minimise the inconvenience to you.

I would like to thank you for all of your help, support and encouragement on our journey so far. The team (some of whom are in this picture) always enjoy hearing about the positive impact our service has in our customers’ lives.

If you have any questions at all then please do get in touch.

Best wishes,

David

CEO and co-founder of Onedox