Old direct debits still scheduled

I’ve just had a near heart attack after looking at my scheduled payments tab and seeings loads that are expected to be taken this month that I cancelled a long time ago :grimacing:

For example. My car insurance which I cancelled last year is scheduled to be taken this month but if I search my feed no payments have been taken since 2020 (which is when my contract ended).

Having spoke to most of these it would appear that Monzo are showing them as expected and the company isn’t planning on taking the funds. So my question is whether this is a Monzo issue or that these providers haven’t told Monzo that I’ve ended my contracts with them?

Did you cancel the direct debit in app?

Some don’t for whatever reason. I’ve recently moved all my DDs to another bank. The majority of the companies have had the old DD removed from Monzo, however a small handful haven’t and I’ve manually deleted them.

If you’ve set it up elsewhere then it shouldn’t matter if you delete it out of Monzo. Although to be sure I’d give it a few days then ring the company to check what details they hold.

No, I contacted the provider and ended it with them. Should I have cancelled the direct debit in app too? :confused:

I always do. Means the app doesn’t expect another payment

2 Likes

There’s about 8 or 9 some dating back years. I’ve spoke to some companies just to be sure and I’ve since manually cancelled the direct debit in app.

I just don’t recall this being an issue at my old bank (or that I didn’t notice), so I just wondered what has caused this to happen.

The ones that haven’t gone on mine were, Octopus, PayPal, Admiral and CSIS. Every other DD automatically got removed.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to, and you’d be covered by the Direct Debit guarantee in any case, but often when I have cancelled a contract they’ve recommended that I also cancel the DD with the bank. I’ve rarely bothered, though.

1 Like

Even in my pre-Monzo days I always cancelled the Direct Debit my end after confirming that the provider had done theirs. HSBC could show them forever otherwise and I just didn’t like the idea of being one administrative mistake away from money leaving my account unexpectedly (even if I could get it back eventually). It felt like givng them, a blank cheque :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t delete them for a while as I’d rather fight with them for my money back than have a missed payment on my record , although I should be fine as they usually ask you to pay up by card etc.

But can you go to a payment and un select predict this payment in summary? That should do the trick.

1 Like

It’s good practice. Belt and braces.

1 Like

In Nationwide old inactive direct debits also often hang around doing nothing. Not sure what determines this, presumably something at the merchant end when they stop taking your direct debit (some will tell you to go and cancel it with your bank when your contract ends).

1 Like

What’s odd is that these never showed in my feed as upcoming, only under the scheduled tab.

Therefore, I assume its only when the merchant actually requests the money that it’s then shown in the main feed?

If that’s the case Monzo should be able to cross reference this with the expected date and if it isn’t collected do something with the direct debit? Or at least send an alert that a scheduled payment was never collected.

Interesting! thank you.

I guess I’ll just have to get into the habit of cancelling my contract with the merchant and then remembering to cancel the direct debit instruction after the last payment is taken.

Possible or not. It’s a shame there’s nothing more automated to do this either inside or outside of Monzo.

Yeah it doesn’t matter you could leave them there forever, it’s the merchant who has the updated instruction so they point the payment to whatever bank is on that one by claiming the money via the DD.

Any old ones won’t suddenly start collecting as the merchant is using that new instruction.

1 Like