Obtaining a Monzo card

Hi there,

I’ve downloaded the app, signed up and have been placed in a queue of around 13k people.

It’s not clear if this queue is for a card or a current account. Can you provide some clarity?

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

It is a current account with a debit card

2 Likes

With Monzo, you can’t have one without the other.

2 Likes

Seems to be working now. Just been prompted to start the card application process.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I wonder how that happened :eyes::wink:

10 Likes

:slight_smile: Same way it happened for me, possibly? Magic Monzo faeries?

4 Likes

Is the queue moving at the moment? I signed up over Christmas and stayed in the same position since then, I assumed it was because of the holidays, but my position still hasn’t changed.

Edit: I was magically invited to sign up :slight_smile: The wording in the app for the waiting list is maybe a bit confusing since it mentions current accounts launching in January or something, but looking at this site it seems that they already have, so it isn’t clear what you are waiting for. The rest of the sign up process was great though.

1 Like

I signed up over Christmas too but the queue doesn’t seem to have moved at all. I also assumed it was the holidays, I guess there’s quite a big back log to work through but I thought the queue position would change/update.

Is there a timeframe on new sign ups? After making my home smart over the holidays I want a smarter bank account to go with it now too :smiley:

2 Likes

I also signed up over Christmas, but my queue position hasn’t changed. Are other people moving in the queue?

1 Like

I also signed up just before Christmas but still haven’t moved in the queue :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Hi, has anyone moved up the queue?
I signed up before Christmas too and I’ve not moved at all up the queue!
I’ve mentioned the card to a few people and are waiting for me to receive mine before they sign up (to see what it’s like)
Hopefully the queue moves soon!!!

2 Likes

Don’t think the queue is moving yet, been sat at 11,695 since I signed up last year. The app has an annoying bug where refreshing it always counts up, stops one number lower than then 1/2 second later goes back to my actual number, tricking me into thinking its moved :unamused:

Hi, I also signed up before Christmas on Dec 24 and was placed into a queue of about 5k. My position hasn’t moved since, is something wrong or should I be more patient?

@tristan or @HughWells could probably give some insight as to the speed of the card shipping and what percentage of that number are prepaid customers swapping over and new signups being processed :slight_smile:

the rollout counter linked below seems to suggest about 3000 / day very ish , but what percentage these are of existing customers upgrading their prepaid card only Monzo would know

Does anyone know, approx, how long timewise a new applicants will have to wait if they apply for a new account if they applied in the next few days?
Thanks in advance

I think @simonb would be the best person to answer this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’ve had the invite, 2-3 days after you’ve done the identity check.

If waiting for an invite, I’m sure it’ll be there soon but I’m not sure of timescales.

1 Like

That’s only for prepaid (which has now closed for new signups). New signups for Current Account are in a queue (on hold). We don’t know when new signups will start being processed again.

2 Likes

Hey all!

Prepaid signups are now closed for anyone who wasn’t already in the waiting list prior to this week.

If you were in that list, you’ll now be able to sign up, as we unlocked the entire prepaid waiting list in the last 2 days - you now have until 1pm tomorrow (Friday) to make the £100 top-up and get a prepaid card shipped to you.

If you miss that deadline, I’m afraid you won’t be able to get a prepaid card anymore. That’s it! The sending of new prepaid cards will be completely shuttered after that.

Here’s where things can get a little cloudy so I’ll be as clear as I can be, but please feel free to address anything you’re not sure about.

If you have an active prepaid card, you’ll be able to migrate to a full current account within the next 1-2 months, with investors being given priority.

If you don’t, you won’t be able to get a current account until we’ve offered the migration to all of our existing prepaid users. Just for additional clarity - that means offered, not gone through the migration process, because there’s people who are travelling that may not be able to migrate until they get back, but they at least will have had the opportunity to do so.

What this means in real world terms is that if you don’t have a Monzo account at all, you won’t be able to get one for 1-2 months, until all prepaid account holders have had the opportunity to migrate.

21 Likes

Awesome response as always - thank you! :+1:

Slightly concerned about this however:

As people move to the current account they’ll be telling their friends how awesome it is and want to get them sign up. Is there simply not enough card production capacity to have a small stream of new sign ups running alongside? (With a queue like the prepaid)