O2 Outage

Anyone want to talk about the data outage affecting O2 (and also Tesco/Giffgaff/Sky)?

Hilarious how people are arguing about compensation on Twitter.

1 Like

Iā€™m on O2 and have been for years and this is the first time Iā€™ve had anything like this

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a few O2 issues recently, around central London. Contract is up in Feb and definitely looking at EE.

1 Like

Invest in a dual sim phone is my advice.

2 Likes

Lucky you! Iā€™ve swapped between O2 and Giffgaff for a few years and there has been outages like this a couple of times. In the new year Iā€™ll be switching over to EE as Iā€™ve had a bad year with O2.

I think if you have a Ā£30 a month contract, youā€™re currently ā€˜entitledā€™ to about 20pā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad itā€™s down means the other half canā€™t contact me today lol

7 Likes

I cant access my account on mobile due to O2 network outage is there any way of accessing account on line ;-(

1 Like

You can do some use most important features on web.monzo.com but can you not just connect to WiFi?

1 Like

I think phone networks should be fined like banks for outages definitely if itā€™s voice and SMS outages , they are integral for business and people, just like online banking.

2 Likes

Kinda agree, but itā€™s incredibly difficult to manage the scale of that. Thereā€™s no regulations and people use different kind of SIM cards/contracts etc - it would definitely be difficult to decide a fine.

I think in this specific situation itā€™s better to grin and bear it until itā€™s fixed, from what Iā€™m aware, O2 were unaware of any issues and itā€™s not their fault entirely. Itā€™s not like theyā€™re intentionally stopping their service or are being negligent about it.

And if, like I said, customers were to get a refund for the hours/minutes of data/messaging, weā€™re looking at pennies not pounds.

I thought Iā€™d forgotten to pay my bill this morning on the way to work :woman_facepalming:t2: then it started working briefly, then I went to Pret and tried to check my balance and it was dead again. Glad they had wifi or Iā€™d have had an awkward ā€˜card declinedā€™ moment.

Itā€™s been down sine 5am apparently which is pretty shocking.

Saw a hilarious ā€˜What if I was abroad and didnā€™t know anyone or have wifi???ā€™ rant, oblivious to the fact you wouldnā€™t be affected if you were abroad, youā€™d be on someone elseā€™s network :joy:

7 Likes

Werenā€™t the Police/Emergency services going to use/are on o2 for their radios or is that still TETRA?

EE (BT)

I was under the impression that this was only a mobile data outage and wasnā€™t affecting calls or texts. Although I could be wrong, since I generally donā€™t receive any of either, I canā€™t check :joy:

I couldnā€™t send messages this morning. I was able to make calls but no sign of any 4G

There were people in the bus station completely unsure of what to do to pass the time. Some resorted to phoning people. We live in dark times

17 Likes

Call and texts were definitely out for all of my co workers that I asked. , but have been working recently, still no data.

1 Like

Seeing issues on Manx Telecom as well.

:popcorn: