Notifications when No Service / No Data

Hi!

I’m loving using Monzo, but one thing that annoys me is that if I make a payment deep inside a shop with no service, I won’t ever get a payment notification.

I thought it would come through when I got signal back, but it never does. If I open the app it’s there, but I forget to do that, and I like having the notifications. Unfortunately I rarely get them because I live in quite a rural area and signal doesn’t travel into buildings well.

Not sure if this is accidental or intentional really?

Thank you!

I think that’s an Apple decision about whether to deliver the push notification. @james or @jgarnham can confirm though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tristan is correct, Apple’s Push Notification Service should try to re-deliver the notification if it’s not initially able to. However, when they try to redeliver isn’t clearly defined unfortunately.

2 Likes

Thanks for your replies. Is there a way to fix this?

Other apps send notifications through when data is resumed, so surely Monzo can too? :slight_smile:

The implication is that it’s in Apple’s hands.

An excerpt from the Apple Push Notification Service documentation.

Quality of Service

Apple Push Notification service includes a default Quality of Service (QoS) component that performs a store-and-forward function. If APNs attempts to deliver a notification but the device is offline, the notification is stored for a limited period of time, and delivered to the device when it becomes available. Only one recent notification for a particular app is stored. If multiple notifications are sent while the device is offline, the new notification causes the prior notification to be discarded. This behavior of keeping only the newest notification is referred to as coalescing notifications.

If the device remains offline for a long time, any notifications that were being stored for it are discarded.

Ultimately, it is up to Apple to deliver that notification from APNS to the device and display it. From personal experience, iMessage, Photos and iCloud services can react even worse on poor network conditions than APNS though. :sob:

2 Likes