Nintendo Switch Discussion

There are a few caveats. But can work round them. The oled switch dock has a lan port and it seems to be for always on internet for updating and maybe to be able to use Bluetooth headphones while playing online.

1 Like

Utter madness. They’ve just sat on this for years.

We’ll probably find out there’s been an easy fix for the controller drift too that they just haven’t got around to…

1 Like

Because everything seems to be happening this month, here’s a new Nintendo Direct for good measure. Tomorrow at 11pm. About 40 minutes long. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hoping for some more Breath of the Wild 2 news.

2 Likes

PSA
Found a today only deal. Get the new super Mario party for £35.88 on preorder from shop to on eBay. Use voucher code PURCHASE4LESS at checkout on the item:

N.B. Sure it can be used on loads more stuff on eBay today but feel this is a good use for me!

1 Like
1 Like

I can already play sonic 2 on my sega

Finally found some time to watch it this morning!

From the announcement I’m most looking forward to Mario Party (already pre-ordered that), The Animal Crossing update, Splatoon 3, and the Mario movie!

Animal crossing is also getting its own direct next month, so looking forward to that as well!

Can’t wait for the Animal Crossing update!

1 Like

The excitement is building! Got my £27 Curry’s misprice arriving in 10 days. Now to acquire a Swith to play it on!

The Animal Crossing direct is on the 15th of October. It will last for around 20 minutes. Can’t wait!

I’m so beyond hyped for Friday. I remember literally running home from school the day Metroid Fusion released (Prime came a couple of weeks later as a birthday present).

I’ve been waiting 19 years for Metroid 5, damnit.

1 Like

I would say I’ve been waiting 23 years.

Fusion really didn’t do it for me. Far too much hand holding for my liking. Totally missed the isolation feeling that really makes a Metroid game.

I agree. That said, Fusion has aged superbly. The atmosphere*, combat, and enemies are all superior to Super Metroid for me.

I’m slowly replaying Super at the moment (had plans to replay Zero Mission, AM2R, Super and Fusion in the lead up to Dread). It’s still a phenomenal game, but going back to the floaty physics after the more recent games is a real buzzkill.

*thinking about it, tension is probably a better word than atmosphere, considering Super is dripping with atmosphere.

1 Like

Animal Crossing direct just dropped.

Quite a substantial free update, with the caveat it will be the last free major update, so expect general patches and bug fixes going forward, with paid DLC down the road.

The first paid DLC was announced here too. You can buy it, or oddly, it’ll be included for free to subscribers of the new Nintendo Switch Online tier. Be curious to see how this works. I wonder if this is the start of Nintendo potentially going down the gamepass route, although instead of giving you access to their games for free,
You just get expansions for free. Certainly an interesting move!

With gamepass on Xbox you still have to buy expansions and DLC, only the base game is free. Fair enough, but personally, I don’t feel as comfortable buying DLC for a game I don’t actually own, whereas Nintendo’s approach is more like a bonus for buying their games and is a concept I’m more comfortable with.

There was a lot of stuff in this direct and it’s worth watching if you like Animal Crossing!

1 Like

Given that the game is the more expensive part, I prefer the MS way (but take your point!).

Also, sometimes Gamepass just has the “Ultmiate” version.

Edit: wondering if the amazing residuals on Nintendo games has something to do with being able to offer the add ons for free. Must help a lot when they’re still making £50+ on four year old launch titles.

2 Likes

Definitely agree that it’s an interesting route. Although I struggle to understand the pricing or interest in the ‘Switch Online+Expansion Pass’ as a whole… like, I get nostalgia but is it really worth another £30something a year for some ancient games?

Think I’m with Ravi’s thought re Nintendo’s absolute lock on prices giving them scope to offer free updates for longer than other publishers might.

Interesting thing happened to me with gamepass and expansions this week in that I went to buy the Outer Wilds DLC and then realised I had never owned it and it’s no longer on gamepass :cry: so I will now have to buy the full game and DLC, which I’ll certainly do, but will play through some other things first and hope that it appears in a sale…

1 Like

Previously I wouldn’t have been interested at all. GameCube games I might be more insterested in replaying. That was the golden age of Nintendo for me. But not really interested in paying to play classics.

Gamepass is still my preferred model, and if Nintendo decided to copy that, they’d make a killing I’d recon.

In any case, if paid expansion passes being added to the new tier for free becomes a norm, I can totally see value in that, and I’d certainly pay for it. Especially the family plan, because all my siblings play on Switch, so we share a family plan. An upgrade would get us all this expansion.

I’ll wait and see if this becomes the case. But a subscription service for free access to the paid DLC of games you own? I’d be down for that. Almost reminiscent to the battle pass subscription sort of model a lot of games are adopting. Although one could argue Nintendo’s free updates for their games is the same sort of thing, only free!

It started with Splatoon, and whilst some complain because they’re essentially not shipping a full game at launch, I like the approach because it keeps the games alive. We’re still getting that full game in the end, and without having to pay for it like other studios pull.

Ring fit adventure owners! Is it still worth buying in 2021? Do you still play it? How effective a workout is it?

Very much considering picking this up on Monday now it’s back in stock at the Argos here.

Get it, I still use it and it’s great.

Some good custom workout vids from this guy too: Master Trainer Peter - YouTube

1 Like