šŸ“° Apple Pay now in 20 markets, nabs 90% of all mobile contactless transactions where active

A lot of the interesting details in this article are US-centric and so less interesting than if they were about the global situation. However, the one really interesting statistic is that in the headline:

Apple Pay is accounting for 90 percent of all mobile contactless transactions globally in markets where itā€™s available

Combined with todayā€™s :monzo: announcement, the anticipation is high. :wink:

4 Likes

I love Apple Pay. With limits lifted you really donā€™t need a card any more.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think the US have contactless. They have only just got chip and pin.

This could be completely incorrect. :smile:

Itā€™s pretty rare though compared to card payments. I think Iā€™ve seen it used in costa only once when Iā€™ve been there.

They do! It is very popular on phones, however not with cards as most are just magstripe (no chip).

1 Like

Yeah sorry I wasnā€™t clear. No contactless on cards. Only chip and pin.

Hence Apple Smashing contactless.

1 Like

The article doesnā€™t say that Apple has 90% of contactless transactions in the US, but 90% of mobile contactless transactions globally. I think thatā€™s what makes it interesting. Itā€™s really an observation on Apple Payā€™s popularity compared with other mobile contactless systems (e.g. Google Android Pay, Samsung Pay, Vodafone Pay, etc.). Not as compared with contactless cards, or limited to the US.

2 Likes

Android Pay :wink:

/20chars/

1 Like

Itā€™s the kind of figure Iā€™d want to see breakdown figures forā€¦ 90% is a lot - and the figures do come from Appleā€¦

If my maths was better I could probably adjust for the number of countries where apple pay is the only option (6 out of 21 according to my googling) and therefore 100% by default.

(Not sure about that 21 number though, the article says the number is being increased to 20, but an article from March lists 21ā€¦).

Not Apple, but ā€œmerchants and others who have partnered with Appleā€. But, I agree, itā€™s not well sourced.

The US does have contactless - Visa Paywave, MasterCard Paypass and AmEx have contactless chip cards.
Roll out has been super slow and really depends on your card issuer/banking institution if you as the end user gets one. But itā€™s not just as widespread adoption - Apple Pay has really been bridging the gap when most cards havenā€™t been replaced yet.

1 Like

Not with Fitbit Pay on the scene now, watch that grab market share. Tim Cook must be having sleepless nights!

1 Like

They do, but my contactless never worked. My Barclays Apple Pay did though when I couldnā€™t use my :mondo: CA