New Limits!

Glad to see this sort of action taking place. In Thailand at the moment and very few places accept cards. Even trips are cash and this has caught us out big time. Blown the atm withdraw limits and as its prepaid the limits are artificial anyway. There should be a way to identify a genuine card user in trouble with limits while away. The chat has been good but 7 hour time difference complicates raising and receiving answers.

@sacha just to clarify, the ‘max single card payment’ (£2000) refers to point-of-sale (in-store) payments; the ‘max single payment’ (£1000) refers to outgoing P2P payments.

3 Likes

Just had a less than helpful conversation with customer service using chat, in the app.
I have had the card for a few months and used it in February, abroad and hit the limits at that time. I am going away again at the end of next month, so getting enhanced limits would be ideal, especially as the hotel wants £345 in local currency (booking.com cash on arrival) and the best rate is at the destination, I also will be spending more than £1000 whilst away, so I thought I would ask for the enhanced limit, seeing that it clearly states under the new limits:

“before it happens automatically, or you would like us to manually review your account to see if you’re eligible, please get in contact through the in-app chat”

With that in mind I did just that.I told them I am going away and requested the manual review and was told:
"If you hit your limits, please contact us and we’ll upgrade your account if your eligible at that time.

I replied that at that time I will be abroad, that i needed to know where I stand now otherwise I need to make other plans, like Travellers cheques. I also asked about the specifics of the limits but that part was ignored in the answers given to me.

Their reply was:
“I’m afraid we aren’t upgrading to the enhanced limits upon request at this time” and "Right now the enhanced limits are only available upon review once the regular limits have been reached.

So I’ve asked them what limits? I asked if i go and withdraw £250 from my bank on Monday morning does that count? I have not received an answer.
As I say, less than helpful.

I’m sorry that you felt the response I gave was not helpful. We have had a huge amount of customer support requests this evening, so it hasn’t been possible to be as prompt as we usually would be in this regard.

I’m afraid that as it stands right now, you are ineligible for the enhanced limits as per our eligibility requirements. We also can’t give you any information about the selection criteria for the enhanced verification limits because we need to maintain the ability to change them based on new risks that might arise.

I have also provided this answer within your original support chat for clarity.

2 Likes

That’s odd. I went travelling with Monzo for 6 months and never had an issue with hitting limits even though it was my primary payment method. At the time I was on the old limits (I have since been upgraded). Are you sure it’s totally unworkable for you? You may need to slightly change the way you do things (I.e. pay by card wherever possible instead of withdrawing cash) but I really didn’t have a problem at all on the old limits.

I was traveling in Thailand, cash is king there, many places only take cash payments, also the ATM’s have a compulsory fee so when taking money it is always best to take as much in one withdrawal as the ATM allows, which is more than the Monzo card allows per day.
The current limit is not unworkable, it just means I have to use other less convenient options on top of Monzo, hence bringing Travelers Cheques and cash.
It would have been nice / convenient to have Monzo as my primary card, not least for the security aspects that come with it and just have my bank cards for emergencies.

Yes Berlin is the same (cash only) and was the one place where I was worried, however it worked out fine. Mexico and LA had the compulsory ATM fee but I wasn’t comfortable withdrawing massive amounts of cash (and exposing myself to the risk of theft or loss) just to avoid a few pounds in fees so I just used ATMs as normal.

1 Like

When I go away next I will be staying at a hotel that has an ATM just outside, ATM fees are currently £4.10 per transaction (180 BHT) so if I want £20 of baht or £500 of baht it is the same fee.
The current limit on Monzo means I can get £250 a day in baht, on holiday, from past experience, that’s roughly 2 days of partying and eating and entertainment, taxis, etc. So 8 days maximum, I’ll be there 3 weeks, that’s my problem with the current limit. Not knowing why I would be refused or how to go about getting accepted is quite galling as well.

I spent £703 in baht 4 transaction in February over 5 days. another £130 in march, I topped the card up with another £1000 this month. Having seen the new enhanced limits I was going to top up another £1000 but thought I’d better ask first for the manual review, only to be told, when asking for a manual review, “Wait till you hit the limit, then ask us again and if you are eligible we will upgrade you”,this despite me saying I’ll be abroad.
Then when I query this I’m told "Right now the enhanced limits are only available upon review once the regular limits have been reached."
Then after coming on here, because twice my question on the specifics of “The limits” was unanswered / ignored, I am told, "I’m afraid that as it stands right now, you are ineligible for the enhanced limits as per our eligibility requirements. We also can’t give you any information about the selection criteria for the enhanced verification limits because we need to maintain the ability to change them based on new risks that might arise. "
Risks? what risks? It’s not like I can go overdrawn, very mysterious answer, also very unhelpful.

The limits are applied in order to reduce Monzo’s exposure to fraud.

I understand perfectly well how fees at an ATM work. I don’t however want to be carrying £500 in forfeign currency and have my wallet stolen.

I lived in Berlin for a month and didn’t have an issue with limits.

If Monzo isnt the right product for you at the moment you might want to try some of the either travel currency apps which might give you what you want.

1 Like

I didn’t suggest you were ignorant of how fees at an ATM work, I simply explained MY predicament, I also explained quite a bit more, that is what this forum is for, is it not? I do have other cards by the way, including the Revolut. My point was that if the Monzo card had allowed me to have the enhanced limit it would have simplified things for me, as for having my wallet stolen with £500, I carry only what I require, the rest goes in my room safe until needed.

If that is the case then their eligibility requirements are even more of a mystery to me. Especially as I am unaware of the criteria I must meet to alleviate their concern.
It seems like I will do as before, use just shy of the monthly limit, then switch to my other cards and the backup TC’s as required.
I don’t change GBP to Baht here as the exchange rate is woeful in comparison to changing in situ, the banks will be shut by the time I get of my flight, so the ATM outside my chosen hotel would have been a handy way to pay for the hotel, as is I will simply use a different card, albeit one with extra fees (on top of the mandatory ATM fee) to withdraw the money required. C’est la vie.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out :slight_smile:

Yep, I like to know where I stand well in advance of any situation arising.
If i had stopped querying the Monzo rep after I was first told that I need “To reach an unspecified limit, then call them for a manual review” It is conceivable I could Have found myself in a foreign country having hit my Monzo limit and being denied access to extra funds. As it is, having persisted, I now know the route I have to follow, which is a combination of TC’s, cash and cards. Also any other forum viewers, reading this, are now aware of more of the potential scenarios surrounding getting an enhanced limit from Monzo.

Good & since we can never say this too often - users should always carry a back up card while Monzo is in beta.

1 Like

The limits are apparently out of Monzo’s hand.

Responsible standard use abroad may impact positively towards increased limits so as far as we know - and without Monzo wanting to give to much information away - asking for increased limits when you hit your limits may be great advice :astonished:

6 Likes

I’ve never hit my limits but I do use the card constantly on a daily basis and top up several times a month. It’s been my main card since I got it, both here and abroad.

1 Like

How does someone get the enhanced identity verification? i have done the basic two step one, using the video and my driving licence. When i get my card it easy to go for the enhance version?

I’ve moved your post here, as Naji’s explained the process at the top of the thread, I hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m using Monzo while travelling around South America where Cash is King, Visa is the Queen and Mastercard only accepted by larger banks and fancy establishments. I’m just about half way through my trip and about 2 weeks budget away from my annual ATM withdrawal limit. I understand a daily limit but the low monthly and annual limits have resulted in the cards usefulness to be limited…