Nearby Friends

I guess that answers your question then (they’re fake) since this feature only works for Monzo to Monzo transfers :sweat_smile:

Well, the payments screen also shows non-Monzo accounts which is where it’s visible.
Capture

3 Likes
3 Likes

Think that might be a boo-boo on Monzo!

Tempted to send 1p and see if it works.

1 Like

I might have just done that…

Put it in entertainment category :grin:

1 Like

I hope so or someone’s going to be very confused

Scrolled up someone already asked lol

1 Like

These days I don’t really have peoples phone number. In fact, the biggest reason I have exchanged phone numbers with people in recent months is to facilitate monzo payments! This sort of case comes up a lot for me and I imagine many other people.

1 Like

I know it’s been pitched as ‘Send money to people nearby who you don’t know that well/trust with your details etc’: but what sort of details are in the corresponding feed data [especially the raw JSON]? Does your account number/other details get exposed (such as in a inter-bank transfer) to them?

I’d imagine it’d have to.

For me, the use case is at work. Folk have my work mobile - I have no desire to give out my personal one (as soon as one person has it, everyone has it - and then I’m getting more out of hours calls than I do already).

Actually, rooting around in the archives, this is the type of problem it solves for me:

Edit: I should say that for me I really don’t mind others that I’d use this feature with having my name / account info. It’s not a privacy thing for me.

Name and photo are the only things given to the recipient :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting. So I receive a payment this way (I haven’t yet) I wouldn’t see their account number? And I wouldn’t be able to make a payment back to their account without using Nearby Friends / re-entering account details?

1 Like

No, you wouldn’t see their account number.

You would be able to make another payment because we also send the User ID.

2 Likes

Fascinating, thanks!

(Looks around surreptitiously for someone to swap pennies with :wink:)

I just noticed if you block access to contacts you can now still access payments. When did that happen? :+1:

What’s the point of sending the token to Google if it’s being broadcast over Bluetooth anyway? Wouldn’t other Monzo phones be scanning for tokens over Bluetooth? I didn’t understand from the blog post how Google Nearby helps make the feature work.

1 Like

I was assuming that it was the Google service that was responsible for managing the broadcast side meaning the app just needed to make a google call of some sort and wait for answers rather than managing everything else. I don’t know how realistic that is though.

I was a little confused by this also

Just used this for the first time today. Works like a charm!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.