Nearby Friends

We’ve just updated how you pay your friends on Monzo. Using Nearby Friends you can find your friends and pay them instantly!

Let us know what you think…

10 Likes

Look what’s just popped up in my Payments screen… :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

It works really well :wink:

1 Like

Development time well spent :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

#tags and Nearby were so important I never knew :rofl:

5 Likes

But my friends are in my contacts so I could just pay that way instead of this way?

12 Likes

It is for those friends who don’t want you to call them :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t know anyone like that :thinking:

2 Likes

This could be highly requested feature by people not represented here on this community you know.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Of course the app doesn’t collect any info on your location using this feature?

They know where you are every time you use your card anyway :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

No official blog or announcement? @HughWells Why so low key…

Unlike tags this one is actually a new feature.

I can see this on Android as well. Can’t say it is of any use to me personally when we already have Monzo to Monzo payments.

2 Likes

Bear with us! The announcement is coming soon

5 Likes

I don’t understand how this is useful unless you have hundreds of friends on Monzo and the list gets super long to scroll through. Thought it would have made more sense to show nearby Monzo users who you don’t have as a contact, that way you haven’t got to exchange any details. Obviously it’s still fairly private as their name wouldn’t come up unless they had the screen open also.

3 Likes

We show everyone, even those not in your contacts

2 Likes

How is this even possible?

@kieranmch so suppose I have a friend nearby who I’m splitting a bill with. They are not a Monzo user… but I have their phone number. Is this feature saying that I will be able to pay them because of the fact they’re nearby? I’m a tad confused but will definitely read the announcement when it drops

Ahh ok that contradicts the text on the setup screen of the feature then, thanks for clarifying :blush:. By mentioning “to find your contacts” it gives the picture it only will display people already within your address book.

Since this is the case it will be a handy feature! Looking forward to using it when more of my friends or people I know get Monzo :rocket:

4 Likes

This could be clearer! Thanks for the early feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ll be able to pay other monzo users nearby :slightly_smiling_face:

If they aren’t on Monzo, then they aren’t worth paying anyway :wink:

Just kidding. Fire them a Golden Ticket :smiley:

12 Likes

@kieranmch are you aware of a known bug with golden tickets? My app always states I’ll get one after a few weeks of joining monzo. But I’ve been with you guys for nearly a year. I always have to aks cops to generate one for me, not sure how many others are having this issue. Don’t like to pester cops for such a small thing but I suppose it’s growing the user base.

2 Likes