A story from today.
- Colleague: Someone’s leaving. Would you like to sign their card? Contribute to a leaving gift?
- Me: They’re amazing - yes! signs card looks furtively in wallet and pads down pockets
- Me: I don’t have any cash…
- Colleague: Can you Monzo me it?
- Me: Great! Of course.
- Colleague: Grabs phone, opens app Are you registered using a different number?
- Me: Yes… Slight awkward silence while we tacitly agree that we won’t share personal numbers
- Me: Let’s use MonzoMe Opens app, looks for a place to enter colleague’s MonzoMe name
- Me: Hmm, can’t find how to do that. What’s your sort code and account number?
- Colleague: I haven’t upgraded yet
- Me: Okay, let’s work out this MonzoMe thing. goes to Monzo.Me Got it! What’s your username?
- Colleague: First name + last name colleague spells last name three times - it’s tricky
- Me: User not found…
- Colleague: Oh, it’s got my middle name in it…
- Me: Retries - Yay it’s working
- Me: Enters amount - Hits send - Auths using Android Pay - Webpage hangs - No money out of comes out of Monzo account - kills webpage - rinse and repeat - same issue
- Me: looks again in wallet Oh, I do appear to have a fiver…
What’s the learning?
I expected MonzoMe to be available in the app to easily send money using someone’s name. Only after researching did I learn it’s not meant for this. But it would really have helped - send money (or set up standing orders) by a name would save time and effort.
I wonder if there’s a work around for the ‘don’t want to share phone number’ thing. Could you associate multiple numbers with one account for in-app transfer purposes?
Shared in the spirit of ‘this is what we were trying to do, but it all seemed much harder than it should have done’…