My wife has transferred £7000 from her Monzo account to her Lloyds account

My wife has transferred £7000 from her Monzo account to her Lloyds account. The only thing thay was asked of her was the PIN code. How is it possible?

1 Like

What else do you need? She has possession of the phone, knows the PIN and it’s going to an account she’s presumably transferred to before. Even if that last point isn’t accurate the other 2 stand

13 Likes

For me this is what makes Monzo easy to use. With First Direct I used to have to use the app for secure codes and various passwords.

6 Likes

That’s the way banks are supposed to work isn’t it?

I expect to be able to transfer my money between my accounts without having to phone people or visit a branch (for instance). I haven’t had to complete any extra steps to do this sort of thing for as long as I can remember so this doesn’t seem unusual to me.

She didn’t only need her PIN, of course, she also needed access to her phone (or her email account so as to log in on a new phone).

14 Likes

I transferred £10,000 from my Metrobank elsewhere just by logging in with TouchID and press to confirm.

If I had to answer what is the first, third and fifth number from my pin, my cats name, where I was born and how many burgers I eat in a month I’d leave the bank.

19 Likes

It’s cute to see people surprised at how efficient modern banking is. Welcome to the future.

9 Likes

Please tell me you weren’t expecting there to be one of those awful pin readers? :frowning:

1 Like

I wish there was, all this efficiency is too much to handle.

3 Likes

I wish we had to call up the bank and ask them to transfer it. Too efficient for me to do it myself and need to keep those people in jobs!

1 Like

What if Artur’s wife has ran off with £7k from their joint Monzo account :scream:

I call up Metrobank just to see how they are and then ask them to transfer 50p to a different account.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Removed Posts - 21/11/18

Hi all, I’ve removed some posts here. Let’s keep it on-topic and avoid personal remarks, thanks.

4 Likes

Banks are training staff to recognise when customers are transferring large amounts and possibly being scammed, and will question why they are doing it.

What steps should be put in place to prevent this when online? Maybe extra verification for a new payee? A Pop up explaining about possible scams?

1 Like

What steps should be put in place to prevent this when online?

Sometime in 2019 there will be a system where the recipient’s name will be checked and payments will fail if it’s incorrect, in an attempt to foil scams that trick victims into wiring their money to someone pretending to be the bank and using the bank’s name as recipient name.

But personally I think this is useless; maybe we should just let adults be responsible for themselves? If stupid people want to give away all their money to someone asking for it then we should respect their decision.

A pop-up explaining possible scams is fine, but anything else would be a disappointment. I love how instant Faster Payments are and I wouldn’t want that ruined by having to do a bunch of verifications.

1 Like

Machine learning to avoid any additional user effort 95% of the time.

1 Like

You have a daily limit of 10K… if you go above you have to request this functionality from support and provide specifics and photo ID… fair

1 Like

I love this type of login :heart:

Untitled

2 Likes

It’s getting better

Soon…