My wife cannot add me to a joint account

My wife cannot add me to get account, she just keeps getting can’t do it now try later with no reason given.

She’s got payments with friends activated so she can select you from her contacts but it won’t go any further? Ask her to try and delete and reinstall the app and see if that helps

She’s got payments with friends activated so she can select you from her contacts but it won’t go any further?
Yes

Ask her to try and delete and reinstall the app and see if that helps.
Tried that, same issue.
Paraphrase:
“…cannot at the moment… try again… or contact us…”

In that case she’ll need to get in touch with Monzo via inapp chat or help@monzo.com. Monzo are unable to answer account related issues on the forums unfortunately

Ok I’ll let her know. I tried to create the joint account from my end. My end proceed successfully and all as expected, but at her end when she accepts she gets the same error message.

1 Like

My wife had an interaction on the app’s chat system.

Paraphrase:

• keep getting the generic error message, says to contact you.

• you cannot participate in a joint account until you receive and activate your first card.

• so why doesn’t the error message say that or the feature disable with an explanation until that action is taken?

• you cannot participate in a joint account until you receive and activate your first card. *

• yes I understand that, I’m saying I wouldn’t have taken quite a bit of time to keep trying most of the day and then going to the trouble of the other party trying and then contacting you, if the app told me it “already knew” it couldn’t yet offer me the feature and why.

• oh I understand, that’s not right I’ll pass it on.

This chat was almost beginning to sound like * the kind of frustrating chats one has all the time with the high Street Banks. I had expected better of Monzo.

Out of interest why is it necessary to activate the card on one account to open a different account?

If you really need to release software too quickly and therefore with non defensively coded features and catch all error messages there are ways to cover this. For example you could inser a common component to force the user to clearly indicate they had read through a modal message which says this feature may fail uninformatively if you have not received and activated your card. I would have thought effort to add this would be considerably less than the effort of customers and staff reapeatedly trying and interacting over this issue.

I was surprised that chat was available out of hours, hopefully this won’t impact the quality of the interaction as it usually does with the high Street Banks.

Staff - any comment?

Otherwise liking Monzo.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I think you’ve put a slight spin on the conversation, @hardya - as I believe I was the person your wife talked to.

2 Likes

Could you clarify something please Beth? Was reading a thread on twitter earlier where someone set up a joint account with his wife in 20 minutes, including setting up a personal account first. Do you still need to activate the solo account first before you can set up the joint account?

I’ve seen accounts receive the error message of no card - without looking at accounts side by side I can’t be sure :disappointed:

It may be a bug on our end, and I’ve highlighted it cos I’ve seen it a couple times tonight @Rat_au_van.

2 Likes

Appologies, didn’t mean put spin on the convo, my mistake if I did. Happy for the convo to be pasted in for comparison.

1 Like

They can’t do that as it was a conversation with your wife, not you. Then there is the data protection act.

To be fair you was paraphrasing the conversation as said above.

Apologies again though re the convo. Having spent a life time of frustration with high Street Banks, I’m probably a bit over sensitive to any small degree of “perceived” non-sequeter. I admit this.

Just to reiterate the error message we got was not (paraphrase?) “no card” but (paraphrase) “generic error, keep trying, contact us if still not working”.

If this is the same issue I’ve seen a couple of times tonight, there’s a few more details on our end that show the nature of the problem. We have a touch more context. I appreciate it would be easier if this was available in the app, if it is not shown.

I’ve had another customer advise they did receive a clear error, so it may be that something needs addressing in the app. So this has been raised internally to double check.

I’m really sorry for the trouble you have had, and I can only imagine how frustrating it has been not having a clear answer.

3 Likes

No worries. Thanks for raising this issue internally. If possible it would be nice in the long term to get clarity and transparency on the cause and plan. This is something I think Monzo can probably do a lot better than the popular high Street Banks.

Any discoveries as to why there was a catch all error saying keep trying for sharing account when card not registered yet and registration is essential to sharing the account?