🏃‍♂️ Monzo Running Community Thread 🏃‍♀️

On searching the community there doesn’t appear to be many running related threads and I’m pretty certain I can’t be the only runner on here.

So, I was hoping we can use this thread to bring the Monzo running community together. A place to discuss current goals, recent achievements, training plans, recommendations of events, fundraising ideas and most of the all-important bling photos! :medal_sports:

I’ll start us off, been running around 4 years, I’m not the fastest. I have competed 4 marathons (London x 2, Berlin, Chicago). I hope one day to get my World Marathon Majors 6th star medal. During my running career, if you’d call it that, I’ve raised much needed funds for various charities. I’m a group leader at my local drinking running club. My favourite distance overall is the half marathon.

Yesterday I rather stupidly decided and signed up to my first Ultra Marathon, this one in particular is 40 miles of mostly off-road hilly running, yes it makes me feel sick just writing that.

Here’s a photo of me running backwards over Tower Bridge during my first London Marathon :blush:

20150426_122222

5 Likes

I’m a park run tourist #23
Often run around 10 plus miles a week. I am part of the monzo crew that runs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyone else a park runner? What’s your favourite?

1 Like

Pretty keen runner here - I categorise race entries and running shoes as ‘Entertainment’ in Monzo :smile:

Half marathon’s my preferred distance although ran my first London Marathon last year :sun_with_face::sunny::sunglasses::hot_face: I did the Big Half a couple of month’s back and am just gearing up for the Hackney Half on the 19th - aiming / hoping for a sub-1:26 PB.

2 Likes

Yikes. That’s quick. Good luck.
What’s your shoe of choice?

Started a C25K running program 8 weeks ago, so I’m just finishing it off. Looking forward to finishing and working on my speed/pace. Overall I’m quite enjoying It but I still have a long way to go

3 Likes

I’m massively digging Brooks at the moment after being an avid Asics fan for years. I’m susceptible to the odd niggle / injury flare-up so I like cushioning for longer distances rather than something minimal and geared for speed (which is annoying as the bright orange Nike Flyknits everyone was wearing during the marathon are hooooooot).

I’m currently rocking the Ghost 11s for my long runs and the Launch 5s for mid-week shorter / interval / threshold runs.

Can’t recommend enough going to a proper running shop (e.g. Runners Need) though and trying a few different ones to find the right one for you. Some of my friends swear by a certain shoe and after trying them on, they’ll be the worst thing I’ve had on my feet :smiley:

1 Like

I had brooks for a while. I liked them. I had the ghost version, but can’t recall which I had.

I’m solely Nike. I’ve got wild horses for my trail shoes. Nike 3.0 for medium distance and I’ve got some streaks for longer distance. I’m ok with Nike 3.0 for short runs, but wouldn’t want to go long distances in them.

I think when you find a brand you tend to stick with them. I had ASICS for years, but like you, I kept getting injuries. I still get injuries now, but I like the wide base of the Nike trainers.

I’d love to complete a distance like this. I just about stayed fit for half marathons, so training for that mileage would be a killer.

What do you do to stay fit? Do you just run, or do you have a gym routine as well?

2 Likes

I’ve never got on with trail running as my ankles really struggle on anything other than a silky smooth tarmac surface :smiley:

I might have to try out some of the Nikes again to see if they’ve got any comfier.

I did the coach to 5k so can now run for about 30 minutes. Need to work on my next goal. I had entered a race but on the day couldn’t attend. So perhaps I just need a race to train for to get motivated again?!

2 Likes

I twisted my ankle on smooth tarmac several years ago. It’s not as safe as it seems sometimes. Pop holes hey? :persevere:

I think you’ve got to reduce your pace on trails. It sounds like you have a good strong pace, in that case, trail running might be a bit slow.

Some of the alternative places you can go when you’re off-road adds another dynamic for running. I spent years running on roads, but since getting the wild horses, I’ve found lots of interesting places I’ve never thought of running too.

1 Like

Why not a Park run to get some confidence?

I’m such a fan :joy:

1 Like

I keep meaning to get to a park run, I have signed up by my closest is about 20 minutes to drive to so that puts me off a bit. I should try harder!

2 Likes

Your going the wrong way!

1 Like

I’ve been running for about 17 years mainly down to a necessity of work but I am a keen cross country runner. I’ve completed 4 marathons Belfast and Berlin the Ben Nevis marathon and the royal engineers marathon. As well as countless half marathons which is also my favourite distance I like to achieve sub 1hour 30 with a PB of 1hour 15 I was somewhat younger then though, I’ve also ran the 3 peaks challenge a couple of times.
Next month I’m competing in a 24hour team race which I’m sure will be disgusting.
I only run about 8 - 10 miles a week often as intervals, hill reps or other high intensity stuff. but do a fair bit of strength and conditioning work with plenty of flexibility.

2 Likes

My wife took on a half marathon as her first race having never run she did really well and now enjoys running with friends.

Most pro long distance runners don’t do much long distance running as it causes injuries. The do speed work like intervals, technique work, strength and conditioning (deadlift, squats etc) and then plenty of flexibility with good nutrition and hydration. I was once told by a guy who runs ultra marathons that the key to fitness is good nutrition, good flexibility, being well hydrated and good sleep routines. Long warm ups are really good to usain bolt warms up for 2 hour plus for a 10 second run.

1 Like

I enjoy running but always push too hard and end up exhausted with a lot of pain… I went through a running phase a few years back and could run a sub 7 minute mile during a 5k but by the end of the 5k I could barely walk. How do people avoid the temptation to run at their absolute limit? Every time I ran I felt compelled to beat my previous best. I’d like to run regularly but I need to get into good habits. Are there any “tricks” runners use to avoid doing too much, like setting a specific pace or distance goal, or is it just an urge most new runners naturally lose after a while?

1 Like

I don’t run, but my boyfriend does and has started doing run directing at his local park run because he keeps getting shin splints :cry:

1 Like

I try to set a goal so if I run steady state I use a heart rate monitor to ensure I stay at 60-70% of my max heart rate a good indication is that you should be able to have a comfortable conversation while running a steady state. and also use it when doing intervals and high intensity stuff to work at 80-90% of my max heart rate.
I also set goals like running at a set minor per mile for example a 6 mile run sticking to 8 minuit miles.
Doing track sessions can help you work out your race pace etc there are plenty of articles out there on pace setting.
If you are getting pain etc it’s worth getting it checked out though.
Also work on running form a lot of people run wrong again loads of articles out there on form.
And as mentioned in a previous comment for strength and conditioning and flexibility. As well as warming up well and cooling down properly, I swear by a goal roller.
I also run in compression socks and a compression top or in colder months compression tights.
A good multi sport/ running watch is very useful I use a sunnto ambit 3 but if I could afford a new one is get a Garmin finex5 there are plenty on the market though my wife uses a Garmin vivo activ. Most these days come with a HR monitor built in.

A basic way to work out your max heart rate is 220-your age so for me it’s 220-33=187bpm. Then just work your percentages out from there.

And then try not to just keep smashing long runs it will do you no good in the long term. Mix it up. This will also stop it getting boring.

3 Likes