Monzo Prepaid to Debit update when already in the Debit beta testing

I’m really excited to see the “upgrade your account” banner in the Monzo app recently! I already have a Monzo Debit card through the beta testing, so I was using the two cards and the two apps side by side. The Prepaid (original) app now prompts me for upgrade, and looks like it’s asking for my info to be filled out again. Maybe I should just continue with that one, but don’t want to end up with two debit cards or some other convoluted cases.

What’s the proper way to do the upgrade in that app, if I now have the two apps (Monzo and Monzo Bank) and both cards (Prepaid and Debit)?

Cheers!

Delete the white one and keep the blue one.

1 Like

Hey @Gergely, just hit the banner in your prepaid app and follow the instructions to merge your accounts. You can continue using the prepaid app (which will morph into your current account app), and your funds and spending data will be transferred over :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

…and keep your current debit card.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback! I just did all that.

Does this immediately invalidate my prepaid card? (as still need to go around updating my payment info at some places where I used that card). In the app only the Debit card shows now.

Yes, instantly. Attempts to use it will show in your feed as declined transactions.

2 Likes

Oops, that would have been good to know, was using that card on the Tube, so will have to switch to the other one for this evening’s commute.

Thanks for the heads up!

TFL may be a special case! If you used the card to commute in this morning then they will presumably already have authorised it for the day (did you see the £0.10 authorisation in the feed this morning? They don’t always bother) and if you use it to go home it should still work when they present the charge for the whole day.

Don’t rely on this advice though, I may be completely wrong!

1 Like

I wonder if it would still work for the rest of the day given that it’s already in the system for the day?

I’m not clear enough about how often an online check is done by the Oyster system.

Probably best not to try!

TfL only does a card check on the first touch in of the day. You should be okay to travel back on it and due to @RichardR’s magic, the charge the next day will be debited correctly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.