Monzo Premium - One Year FREE [ is it a scam ?šŸšØ]

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any Monzo staff that can help out here. A friend of mine has messaged me today saying he got a free year of premium for being a loyal customer. Is this something that is being offered to other customers?

Regards

Oh my.

Not staff here, but did your friend tell you how it happened? Was it on the back of a support chat or just a pop up in the app?

1 Like

Unless itā€™s directly offered in app, chances are that itā€™s a scam

2 Likes

I want to believe this but I canā€™t see it happening, unless to settle a complaint possibly.

This screams scam.

If not, if itā€™s not in the app you havenā€™t got the offer.

3 Likes

Itā€™s always a ā€˜friendā€™ :eyes::rofl:

If it was real Iā€™m sure heā€™d of been able to prove it to you

3 Likes

I spoken to him properly and now know why. he added his wife to his account and they offiered premium for the price of plus.

You canā€™t add someone to an account.

He could have created a joint account with her, but you canā€™t have Premium/Plus for joint accounts.

2 Likes

This sounds too good to be true. Unless Monzo confirm this or screenshots show otherwise Iā€™m inclined to add a warning to the thread title.

wonā€™t lie I clicked in on the hope some final year magic had happened

4 Likes

If itā€™s too good to be true, it usually is.

Whatā€™s more concerning is itā€™s a friend. Are you sure itā€™s them and theyā€™ve not had something of theirs compromised? :confused:

3 Likes

Yeah this didnā€™t happen, Iā€™m 99.9% certain of it, if Iā€™m wrong Iā€™ll eat my hat*

*I donā€™t own a hat

1 Like

ā€œAdd me to your account to get Premium for free for a year. Just change your email address to definitelynotascam@trustme.bro for 5 minutes so I can verifyā€

Itā€™s how social media accounts get compromised, too. Not sure if Monzo require ID to login on a new device, or if they just rely on Magic Links?

1 Like

New device you have to do a video selfie thing

4 Likes

So, I donā€™t think this is a scam, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s fully rolled out to all.

This was seen in a recent tear down:

<string name="new_customer_plus_free_trial_day0_initial_feature">control</string>

Which mentions a plus free trial.

However. I doubt Monzo would give it for a full year tbf.

1 Like

Free Plus for a month has been going on for a while I think

4 Likes

I had to take a photo of my passport too when I got my new phone

1 Like

I donā€™t recall having to do that bit, but either way thereā€™s deffo extra security when adding to a new device at least :raised_hands:

1 Like

Well I cannot say that applies to everyone, but I have never had that apply. I have moved between different phones a few times this last year because of a breakage and never did Monzo require that. Revolut did mind

1 Like

Kind of, but not really.

Iā€™m in Austria right now, and my personal phone is currently sat at home. Maybe I should have actually checked when the cab driver asked if Iā€™d left anythingā€¦

Anyway I do have my work phone and Iā€™ve never used it for Monzo. When I logged in, and clicked the magic link I was asked for my cardā€™s pin and nothing else. I was in.

About 30 seconds later my account got blocked, and I was told that I needed to submit a video saying ā€˜Hi Iā€™m Richard and Iā€™m a Monzo customerā€™ and a few seconds after sending the video my account was unblocked.

So thereā€™s no default extra security, but it seems like thereā€™s some sort of risk model where if you fail it, you do get asked extra stuff. In my case, ā€˜wait, why are you logging in on a new device when your phone is 900 miles away?ā€™

1 Like

There was for me, like I said a video selfie

Edit - just seen Danā€™s post after mine, new process :+1:

1 Like