Monzo Plus – you asked us to make it simpler, so we’ve created bundles

Aren’t they normally humans?

6 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.

Monzo’s product is an amazing bank account, probably the best one there is.

I would personally pay a small monthly fee just for the bank account. It’s that good. The bank account is the reason I switched to Monzo.

But this Plus offering is not appealing at all. Maybe it is because I am old, but the “supporter bundle” thing is so strange to me. I am a customer, not a fan. Monzo is not pop group or a football team. And the home and travel insurance bundles just seem like overpriced versions of things I can get direct from an insurer, with some weird add ons that don’t make sense (pay 5% to receive £1000 of my own money… thanks I guess). I don’t get what the vision is here.

Monzo, please just keep on providing the best bank account in the UK and figure out a way to charge me for THAT.

Keep it simple and have the courage to charge for your actual product.

I also agree on the card colours. Hot coral is Monzo’s brand, adding extra colours is a mistake.

5 Likes

I think this is quite a neat function, especially if you are travelling. Imagine you abroad and lost your card, most banks will tell you it’s your problem and you will get a new card once you arrive back home. With Monzo you can get cash via WesternUnion. And yes, this might include a fee, but I believe the fee is quite fair considering the cost of sending money via WU.

Sure, paying a fee for a Western Union cash advance is reasonable.

What is weird is the idea that this facility justifies a monthly subscription on the off chance I might need it.

3 Likes

Actually all the main high street banks do it for free, and have done for years. They help in an emergency, they don’t charge you for that help.

Just one example Can I access my money abroad in an emergency? | Barclays

12 Likes

Completely agree - why isn’t this available to anyone? This is a service that anyone could use - just change the pricing if needed.

1 Like

I just had a look and it seems like it can take them up to 3 days, I wasn’t aware of that in the first place :frowning:

Not sure if I am correct on that, but with Monzo it meant to be within a few hours (I could be wrong as I can’t find the wording for that right now).

They say that to manage expectations - it’s because not everywhere in the world has the same service levels. Monzo saying they’ll get it to you within a few hours is all well and good when such a service doesn’t exist wherever you are and you’d be pretty annoyed that it didn’t work out like they said it would.

3 Likes

I think it’s the price of transparency. They (Monzo) acknowledge their mistakes publicly with little reservation, but there will always be those rushing to judge them in a not so nice way for it.

That’s why companies like Apple tell customers as little as they can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, with the knowledge and skills to do the job and a great attention to detail. If we’re now giving the people who’s job it is to ensure that Monzo adhere to laws and regulations then you might as well not have a compliance function.

1 Like

Personally i’ll wait until they explain what happened instead of guessing

5 Likes

Regarding the WU money transfers - I thought 5% was a bit steep. I don’t even think it costs that much going to them directly. I just did a small price check online on their website - the transfer fee is £9.90 on a £500 transfer to USD, the recipient picks it up as cash at a WU store. It’s just less than 2% charge, but if you pay a subscription fee to Monzo, amongst other things you get charged 3% more, plus you get to go into airport lounges at the same cost as you could do without paying a subscription?

I said this prior to Monzo Plus launching but they just don’t have the brand power or finances to be able to get the massive discounts needed with insurers and other providers to make something like this worth it. Except for people who really support the brand and want to make donations then it’s really a rubbish deal.

7 Likes

To be clear, we only introduced the bug in this week’s app release. The sign-up flow was correct when we first launched The Home bundle. The bug snuck through later, and was live for a couple of days to a small number of customers before we spotted it.

8 Likes

I looked at this before too. Looking at Western Union, assuming you transfer more than £140 with this service, their fee will be lower than Monzo’s 5%.

They also take faster payments from your bank account, so assuming you still have access to the Monzo app - you could do this faster and cheaper in the app directly.

I’d also be interested to hear if anyone has tried using the Emergency Cash feature, or even what the uptake rate of it was when you could add it separately.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Anyone who says “it should’ve been spotted” clearly doesn’t work in software development. No matter how stringent you test it, there’s always one or two bugs that make it through, hence why they are called bugs

8 Likes

Yeah this is pretty terrible from Monzo, these bundles are useless. If I want the travel and home insurance I need to pay £21 where it used to be just £15. What they had before was so much better, cheaper and easier to understand.

2 Likes

As a customer, that makes no difference to me, but I’m grateful to you for clarifying. :+1:

2 Likes

Anyone else notice once package is missing from the website?

Yep, all the people discussing it above your post :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

:slight_smile: