Monzo Plus upgrade button is hard to find

I’ve just tried to upgrade to Monzo Plus from within the app and it took me a full 30 seconds to figure out how to do it. In the end I found it concealed on the account overview page, somewhere I hardly ever go. I would have expected an upgrade option to appear conspicuously but unobtrusively on my personal account page. Something like this:

or this:

I hate “pushy” advertising by companies trying to get me to go premium, but I feel like Monzo could boost its Plus product a bit more without crossing that line.

I think they’re AB testing a few different ways at the moment. Another common one is a Monzo Plus card to the left of your current card. Another being a button in the bottom tabs, in-between payments and help.

But the monzo plus card gets complained about for being too obvious.

5 Likes

Yes, I think having a dummy Monzo Plus promo card in among the other cards would be too obtrusive. I don’t want to have to scroll past it each time I swap between current and joint accounts.

The most important thing for me would be to have the upgrade option visible in the places I spend the most time. I’m also surprised that there’s no Plus option in the “Things you can do with Monzo” pane. That’s kind of the whole point of that menu, right?

2 Likes

The card isn’t between joint and personal:

That’s interesting. I’ve never once seen the advert that user was complaining about. Maybe it’s because I’m using the beta version?

1 Like

Monzo are A/B testing different ways of sign posting how to upgrade. Allows them to determine how unobtrusive (or not) they can be while measuring uptake, for example. Different users will see different Monzo Plus signposts which I believe is controlled server side. There are 3 or 4 different UX implementations being tested.

The harder it is to find, the better, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t want that intrusion.

1 Like