Monzo in the media

:point_up: link to full story available to Telegraph subscribers only.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts - September 2020

what makes you think most people dislike the Telegraph here , we haven’t had a poll have we ? , did I miss it ?

lol heaven forbid that a journalist with a differing political view to yours should get paid for their work and be protected by copyright

Ive heard most people here dislike the …insert your chosen teller of truth / purveyor of party political agenda newspapers name here … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve removed a post with the contents of that article copied and pasted in.

I’m afraid having a negative view on a particular newspaper don’t count in matters of copyright.

I cant put my hand up and say i like any english newspaper :thinking:

I have a special hatred for the sun also… absolute rag

1 Like

" any english newspaper " …ROFL :slight_smile:

Well that was right on cue…

Completely agree with this. In ‘Leslies’ situation it was something not great but for the vast majority of people this wouldn’t be so unusual, especially if they’ve kept a joint account where its made explicitly clear that it belongs to either of you.

1 Like

Dreadful article. No real data to support the headline. Just anecdotes from about 3 customers.

1 Like

As per usual ! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s the sort of lack of drama I maybe have been needing really :smiley:

2 Likes

50,000 in six months is a pretty good effort

I don’t want yet another post comparing to certain other banks, but does stand up well

14 Likes

Some other banks would really love this rate of signups. Good work Monzo.

8 Likes

You need to go read Starling’s figures from last month.

Now, less than nine months later, we’ve opened…almost 200,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)

Don’t ruin my joke man. C’mon!

1 Like

I don’t think Monzo has really pushed/spent that much on marketing for business though have they? I literally saw the Starling business advert on tv like five times a day for months before and during the lockdown. Business adverts on youtube as well. My understanding is that Monzo have been much more low key with it.

3 Likes

It was less a straight comparison between the relative customer numbers, and more a comment that Starling should somehow desire Monzo’s growth, bearing in mind it has opened four times the number of accounts in just a little longer.

2 Likes

Starling had a government funded advertising campaign to get to that number

1 Like

I think that is an overstatement. I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere that the government directly funded Starling bank for any reason

They applied for, and got awarded, a fair chunk of cash from the RBS Remedies fund but that is not direct government money. The money was awarded after fair and open competition - something Monzo could’ve applied for

The other reason for their growth, I’m guessing is the Incentivised Switching Scheme. As part of Remedies RBS had to offload some 100000+ SME customers (if articles are to be believed) to other banks and Starling is one of those

5 Likes

You have to remember that Starling offered what is essentially fee-free banking which is a significant advantage over the competition.

Monzo’s is somewhat feature limited compared to Starlings.

4 Likes

Maybe because not every business needs those things?