Monzo in the media

This is going to go down like a lead :balloon:; cue the % representation replies/arguments.

Monzo is my “main” bank account but I don’t know anyone else who would make the same assertion. This includes my partner who I share a JA with, who puts most spending through Monzo but doesn’t transfer >£1,000 in a month.

2 Likes

I mean the results will be very much skewed, as the sample population isn’t representative of the overall population. Everyone here is more or less interested in Monzo and thus more likely to bank with them fully

3 Likes

This article is awful: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ronshevlin/2019/06/17/keys-to-monzo-success-in-us/amp/

1 Like

I was briefly very excited they hadn’t mentioned millennials, but they got there in the end

Ignoring the style (so bad) the content is quite interesting and relevant. Will Monzo offer what American consumers need? Who knows til they try.

Not sure how the hub and spoke model will work in the US as I don’t know if they have open banking legislation similar to the EU

1 Like

It just felt to me like the guy had very limited understanding of the subject area. The style seemed to be very much “a report in 2014 said millennials like coffee and actually 987 banks in America serve coffee. Will Monzo serve coffee? Will this matter? Perhaps”

3 Likes

I’m not sure being able to make an appointment in branch through your app is a good metric :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve only got to point 1 and I’ve already had to take a minute out…

I’m all game for criticising Monzo and showing where its pitfalls are - but taking the first point for instance: “Monzo won’t be Americans primary bank” - so let’s compare it to the primary bank they will be using :rofl:

1 Like

Forces online is generally awful

Article about Slack - Monzo is mentioned a few times this was the most interesting comment

https://www.ft.com/content/c91a5136-1fa3-11e9-b126-46fc3ad87c65

“Even ardent fans can have too much of a good thing. Mr Templestein of Monzo said he deleted the app from his smartphone: the temptation to keep looking into communications streams inside his business, even when he did not need to, was too great.”

It’s a good point. I don’t have emails on my phone for that exact reason, but I DO have slack and had to mute it whilst on holiday. It’s basically work emails but more chatty and more notifications

1 Like

Data from IT analytics firm ITRS Group shows that for a nine month period last year, Barclays experienced 41 outages, Lloyds Bank 37,
and Bank of Scotland 31.
In the same period, Monzo had a single outage, and Starling Bank had none at all.

11 Likes

Pay walled sorry:

3 Likes

This is seeing 60% of U.K. signups remain long-term active, transacting at once per week

That’s a really good stat

2 Likes
1 Like

And (sorry for the paywall):

https://www.ft.com/content/31527e48-9689-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229

Monzo Valuation update in The Times

1 Like

They list Monzo as tech you need for Glastonbury :smile:

4 Likes