Monzo in the media

Same topic that’s been covered in recent posts in this thread, but from CNBC, a US source.

1 Like

This bit caught my eye from the CNBC article: :eyes:

The branchless bank is now making £4 on each customer it signs up to the platform, versus a £15 loss per customer last year, according to a company spokesperson.

So we’re now significantly revenue positive per customer now. Next step, to break even on an all cost basis… :crossed_fingers:

Hopefully more in the annual report - which might be coming sooner than we thought

8 Likes

…and these from the Times article similarly caught my eye:

Monzo was created in February 2015 by a team who had worked for Starling, another financial technology start-up, led by Tom Blomfield, 33. It gained a banking licence in April 2017 and now has two million current account customers, including 1.6 million who are active every month and 480,000 who pay in their salary.

The bank says that while only a third of active users pay their salaries directly into their accounts, a significant number of others use a larger bank but then switch the money into Monzo and use it as their main account each month.

Emphasis mine.

4 Likes

This one says +£2 for every active customer:

Perhaps the +£2 is the average across the active customer base, while the +£4 is for new customers only.

3 Likes

Appreciate many will feel it’s irrelevant, but this whole “number of people who pay their salary in” is such a misleading stat.

Monzo class anyone who pay in £1,000 (even from their own legacy account), as someone who has their salary paid in.

So to me, that 480,000 figure is much closer to the true “active” figure, than the 1.6 million who make 1 transaction per month.

That being said, despite the misleading wording, the numbers behind it all look really good :+1:

1 Like

That’s impressive. So more people paying in their salary than some other banks have customers. Not bad at all. Even at half that amount it’s more.

1 Like

By your definition, even though I use Monzo almost daily for all discretionary spending and some smaller bills, I’m not an active user :neutral_face:

1 Like

It’s not my definition - It’s Monzo’s :sweat_smile:

Obviously people who use their account daily are going to be active users.

It’s more the “salary being paid in” part which isn’t technically true.

What bank did i name Nick? I can’t see one mentioned.

Whilst you’ve mentioned them, I think those banks look at the numbers with some concern.

Please don’t try and second guess my posts. It’s really not a good look. :+1:

4 Likes

Anyone seen this article from Boomberg? (can’t see it having been linked previously)

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-06-26/monzo-can-a-2-5-billion-banking-upstart-dislodge-jpmorgan

Pretty scathing review of what Monzo has done/ is doing and seems to just mention Lloyds as to why is has a long way to go and the various number of fin-tech challengers in the US.

Does mention the shortfalls in Monzo’s current revenue streams (doesn’t really lend (only personal) and the fact overdrafts are the biggest “lending” driver).

But can’t help but think some of these articles don’t really “get” what Monzo’s attempting to do/ be. :man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Nobody “got” smartphones until they were everywhere. In fact I think I’m still a little in denial while typing on my fifth one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally I think its scathing because its Bloomberg and they have a vested interest in turning public opinion away from Fintechs and back to traditional legacy banks

2 Likes

Yeah you could be right - I just always find it a weird argument when the new smaller challengers are compared to the older incumbents - its a bit of an easy argument to pull out.

Yeah a much better argument would be to compare like for like. I also find it odd comparison especially when they started talking about the Cheesy names. I was like how is this relevant in a Bloomberg newspaper opinion peace :rofl:

2 Likes

Its actually wild the sorts of things that get put in newspapers now - it’s all just there to rile people up (suppose it has worked) - but it isn’t really informative anymore.

Odd. The whole thrust of the author’s argument seems to be Monzo won’t be successful in the UK because it isn’t Lloyds. And Monzo won’t be successful in the US because it isn’t Simple which isn’t JP Morgan Chase.

3 Likes

Yup - such a bizarre argument. Can Santander not do well in the UK because it isn’t Lloyds? All hail Lloyds :laughing:

1 Like

Financial Times: Monzo boss upbeat on progress despite mounting losses

Not sure if posted already?

Interesting points for me:

Per-user contribution margin now £5 up from £2
They’ve launched a £20m marketing campaign

I dont pay a single payment of £1000 in but use my card nearly daily

1 Like

Yeah, my salary is less than £1000 but monzo is my only account

2 Likes