Monzo in the media

Yes it was the previous valuation that was over inflated. I still reckon the IPO in 2025 will have a £10 billion valuation

This is a good point, look at Freetrade they did a revised valuation at the last fundraise and it was horrific - making me believe they greatly overstated their previous valuations.

So yes this latest Monzo valuation might actually be a more accurate representation.

The bigger question I have, is this an opportunity for me to get some money out of my Monzo investment or do I have to continue with the pretend ‘on-paper’ returns?

:joy:

As a crowdfunding investor, you have no opportunity to get your funds out, until Monzo IPOs.

3 Likes

the worst thing would be a over valued IPO, as the public markets will whack it back to a reasonable level, and the headline is the IPO was a flop

4 Likes

Not strictly true - There is a route to organise private sales with permission from Monzo board… but its a bit of a pig to organise apparently

But it’s for exceptional circumstances only, I believe.

Indeed, but all of them are inflated to some extent. It’s last annual report showed an operating income of £214m (and a net loss), that’s not a size of business that is classicly worth £4bn! It’s all a matter of how much hyper-optimistic future growth investors are willing to bet on and also (in the current market particularly) can afford to bet on.

2 Likes

10 million customers = £10 billion see easy :flushed::rofl: That’s better

1 Like

Well, for starters, that totals £1billion, not 10.

And that assumes each customer is worth £100! I wouldn’t pay more than 3p for Revels. So we can knock £99.97 off that 1 billion valuation right there.

14 Likes

Never going to happen.

1 Like

Dare-you-not-to-covers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

8 Likes

Could be a boon for Jeremy Hunt, but he still can’t have a Monzo account :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

£4bn seems really low to me, especially how anything that’s vaguely tech related is valued these days. Monzo has huge potential still, which should be factored into the price. I mean… if Revolut has a valuation of £26bn…

I suppose they could have dropped a low valuation now to let the £350m come in at a low price and then miraculously be valued at £20 billion next year … :person_shrugging:

It is, if it stopped growing today and stayed at its current size revenue wise for several years the valuation would level out at probably c. £400m.

1 Like

This has had 1.7m views in 24 hours… the comments are painful

Don’t know what’s going on. So many people on instagram seem to reply to every post from Monzo saying not to use them and how awful it is (because their account has been closed/locked). Not sure if other banks get this much hate but it seems there are a lot of really angry people out there.

It bugs me so much that everyone is acting like it is a Monzo specific thing as well (although it does start to feel like that because Monzo and account closures seems to be much more prevalent in the news and social media).

1 Like

Swear it’s not even Monzo that control this? Don’t they get takedown requests from HMRC or something?

Probably cost of living making more people fall for the various money mule or other get rich quick schemes involving some form of fincrime.

1 Like

Probably! I hate the world we live in sometimes, it is so easy to spread hate these days and so damaging. People just all like to pile on and feel relevant.

1 Like