Monzo in the media

Yea, this is kinda the way I was thinking about it - I have a few non-Monzo accounts, but use Monzo only as my main account.

The reason Monzo “shouts” about the numbers is because in banking terms they are still a new company and they have just onboarded another million customers in less than 2 months,so I would guess they are excited and proud of the growth. Does it bother you?

3 Likes

Plushies for everyone! :tada:

6 Likes

Just to add, the services we provide payments to are government/public sector, and don’t really fall into the discretionary spend space, more something you pay from a main account. Or that’s my guess at least

1 Like

You work for ClearBank?

I didn’t say they don’t count them or note them somewhere, but to shout about it :man_shrugging:t3: when probs less than 25% you could actually call a customer (non dormant - removing literal context).

Not really no, I responded to someone’s question with a view.

1 Like

Oh, they do. Each bank has it own way of measuring the number of customers they have and how many are “active”.

1 Like

I remember seeing an FCA report several years ago (maybe around 2016) with data on current account usage patterns at high street banks. It included a metric for percentage of account holders who exceeded a specific usage threshold, with same threshold used across banks. I think the report was related to justification for open banking. It’s a shame its not done every one or two years, and now expanded to include Monzo and Starling.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Challenger Monzo to cement £4bn valuation in new funding round (cityam.com)

edit: don’t know how to do the article preview thingy

7 Likes

Just copy the link as a line by itself.

4 Likes

I honestly don’t buy the current valuation compared to 2021,an increase of only £400 million in 3 years,with approximately 5 million more customers and a healthy increase in business accounts.

Monzo was founded in 2015 and has become one of Britain’s biggest digital banks, alongside Starling and Revolut.

In 2021, the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund led a $600m funding round that valued the bank at $4.5bn (£3.6bn).

However, many challenger banks have seen their valuations cut following their boom in the pandemic, with Starling seeing its valuation slashed from £2.5bn to £1.5bn at the end of 2022.

I agree… I would hope that it would be closer to the 6bn mark given all of their customer and product growth. I think its a symptom of the times though and to achieve a 10% uplift in valuation when other Fintechs have cratered is definitely a vote of confidence in the company

1 Like

Sounds like this will be a flat-ish round. Maybe at a ~£15 share price?

So what monzo is gonna be doing another crowdfunding round?

Not every round needs to be a growth round does it?

1 Like

Never going to happen

1 Like

Didn’t think so, they would overfund massively if they did

Well, whether you ‘buy’ it or not, clearly that’s what it’s worth if the news is true. As ultimately the shares are worth what people will pay for them. It’s really led by the market, which at the minute isn’t great.

3 Likes

2 million customers in Less than 3 months??

Maybe you’re looking at it wrong - maybe the round before this one had Monzo at an inflated price, and the artificial inflation of prices has stopped being a thing now, so this price isn’t inflated, and Monzo’s previous price was so the increase is lower, than if both were or weren’t inflated.

The value of the company is what the investing company are willing to pay per share, and not what people on a forum think are contributing factors to the price, and want to throw high numbers around because they’ve invested and want to be :money_mouth_face:

11 Likes