đŸ‡Ș🇾 Monzo in Spain [Wiki]

Unicaja Banco still not charging fee.

1 Like

Yes bancinter have started charging 4€

I would just spend on your card where you can. most recusants accept cards

1 Like

Deutsche bank Is free

Also metro ticket terminals at airport don’t recognise Monzo. Worked fine with starling.

2 Likes

Which city?

Sorry Barcelona.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any experience in Torremolinos? We are going there for 10 days and are unsure if we should bring cash or if we should use our monzo card :slightly_smiling_face:

You can use your card for everything in Torremolinos.

Caveat: I haven’t been on a bus there, but for car parking, eating, drinking, shopping, and cabs.

2 Likes

I previously lived about 15 mins further down the coast. You will have no issues. Keep some loose change if you want to use the lifts between the beach and town.

2 Likes

Heading to Barcelona for a few days. Any tips? Do most of the bars and restaurants accept card or is it cash?

1 Like

You’ll have a hard job finding anywhere in Spain where MasterCard isn’t accepted.

Always make sure you pay in Euros and enjoy your trip!

3 Likes

Most of the business accept card but still some that only trade cash.

Unicaja Banco still not charging for cash withdrawn.

1 Like

Partner is going to Magaluf next month, wants to use Monzo card to withdraw cash daily (and some card payments).

Can anyone tell me what appears on the ATM screen, will it show in Euros or GBP?

When you use your Monzo card abroad (or online in a foreign currency), we pass on the Mastercard exchange rate, without adding any fees.

Is this still the case? Is he likely to pay anything for either withdrawing cash or using the card?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

You might get asked to select a currency, make sure you select Euros.

You might also be asked if you want the machine to do the conversion for you (presented as though it’s doing you a favour) but you also need to make sure you do not select any option which allows them to do the conversion for you. This is often designed to catch you out so just make sure you read the options carefully.

Also depending of the use he does of the account there will be allowances for the cash he should check.

Better paying with the card, chosing €uros and rejecting any conversion.

1 Like

Caixa Bank charge €7 at present for cash withdrawal

1 Like

Spain is horrible for DCC. Almost every POS and ATM asks which currency. Most staff just hit Euros in my experience, which is good. But be on the watch out in case you need to make the choice. In case you didn’t know

ALWAYS
CHOOSE
EUROS
€€€

2 Likes

Use contactless wherever possible as it usually avoids DCC (although not always, so still be on the lookout for it)!

1 Like

I’m in Spain now, and use contactless (Apple Pay) exclusively. DCC rears its ugly head as often as it ever did in my experience.

3 Likes

It’s weird, I was in Ronda yesterday and tried to use it to pay at McDonald’s (ice cream was needed, when it’s 36c outside) the terminal outright cancelled the operation, didn’t even hit Monzo, but chase worked,
. Seems odd because it worked elsewhere

It was for 6 euros 50, may have been too low?

1 Like