🇬🇷 Monzo in Greece [Discussion]

(Eve) #102

Which part of Greece specifically? The touristy areas would probably accept card except at smaller stores, especially in restaurants. There are lots of ATMs around too.

Hi All,

This is my first post on Monzo community
I can confirm the following that may help the community
@MrArkadin and @jackmicklethwaite are 100% into the point.
Let me give you a small brief :
I have born and raised in Zante (yes this party island: sunglasses:)
last 3 years work in London, of course, I am a Monzo User
All the previous summers obviously I was going back home (zante and withdraw money from ATM) and
of course i am avoiding the DCC ( Dynamic currency conversion)
But this summer everything changed the Greek Banks start charging a fee for the transaction if you avoid the DCC

National Bank of Greece ** 2 EUR Fee**
Piraeus Bank ATM 3 EUR Fee
Eurobank ATM 2.50 EUR Fee
Alpha Bank ATMs **no fee ** as @MrArkadin says its just a matter of time

I DONT KNOW IF THIS FEE IS EVEN LEGAL

My suggestion is people try to avoid the packages tourism.
Package tourist worth for a place or a country that you feel unsafe (under my humble opinion)
Zante is a very welcome place( don’t forget with packages everyone is getting commision )
Hope that helps…
:grinning::grinning::grinning:

@Chimpofdoom you have valid points on your zante tips.

(csreed1515@gmail.com) #105

Hi sorry thought I’d said lol… kefalonia, skala… thank you

(Adam Kendrew) #107

The card machines in Crete are sneaky. They type in the amount in € and then ask you for your pin, once approved it then goes to a final screen and asks the merchant if to pay using £ or €. With £ being the default option.

Most of the ATM’s now charge a €2.95 transaction fee too, regardless of if you decide to use DCC or withdraw in the local currency. We saved around £20 on a withdrawal of €180 vs. their rate (which was around £1 to €1 :flushed:).