Monzo in North Macedonia

Hi, anyone know of any issues with Monzo in Macedonia (FYRM)?

thanks

2 Likes

I’ll answer my own question now. It works fine.

5 Likes

Great to hear! Have you tested it at any of the Skopje airport ATMs? Flying there next week and wondering if I’ll need to exchange cash.

1 Like

Didn’t use it at the airport, but it worked everywhere else.

1 Like

No problems here either, with ATMs or shops - though we came in & left by bus.
If you’re checking out Matka, take cash as the boats don’t take card.

2 Likes

Just to add to this thread.

I’m currently in Macedonia. Monzo works in the restaurants and shops that accept card, Apple Pay works too although some staff are unfamiliar with it so you may get strange looks but just wave your phone towards the terminal and let the magic happen.

Some places eg taxi’s, some smaller shops, boat trips etc don’t take card. ATMs work, some try to offer currency conversion, obviously say no to this and let monzo do its thing.

Hope this helps someone!

1 Like

I was in North Macedonia today, tried using monzo to pay in three different locations unfortunately they all got cancelled for some reason (transaction declined) no idea why had enough money in the card, contacted Monzo later they said they do not see any errors or declined transaction in their system on my account! Always have some cash with you!

Can/should we update the thread title to “Monzo in North Macedonia” now, given that the official name change went through in February 2019? Not my thread, so not my place to do so unilaterally

1 Like

OP’s last seen was May 2018, so I’ve just changed it.

2 Likes

Have used it regularly for two years in Macedonia without problems, but now transactions are declined everywhere and Monzo seems to have no idea and no solutions as to why.

Their 15 day response time for resolving doesn’t really help during my 4 day trip either.

I guess I should have brought an alternative fee-free card product for those times Monzo fails completely like this.