Monzo froze my account

Exactly the same for me. An active card check this morning (luckily card was frozen), but same company - never heard of them either.

1 Like

Same here.
I tried to search but it wasnā€™t a English website looked like a europion language.

my account got frozen at 5am and unfrozen at around 9am however I donā€™t have premium?

What happens if your phone dies and you only have your card but itā€™s frozen and youā€™re in an emergency.

Good on them catching it but itā€™s a little curious how they have so many genuine Monzo card numbers that work.

Could be generated using a machine maybe

Youā€™d think thereā€™s some mechanisms in place though. Because itā€™s going through multiple hops, any system somewhere in the chain before Monzo if it was just using random numbers that donā€™t exist itā€™d get rate limited - so Iā€™m wondering if they have a list of genuine card numbers somehow and are running through that.

Data leak at the Avocado & Latte Store.

2 Likes

Probably the same as the Ticketmaster breach that Monzo discovered - they had tens of thousands of card numbers for every bank.

2 Likes

Interesting. I was under the impression that in situations like this the bank was being defrauded, not mastercard, nor the customer. Stressful for the customer either way, but theyā€™re protected come what may here. Perhaps liability shifts from bank to MC with debit card transactions?

Iā€™m all good with this, to an extent. The second proactivity trickles down into freezing my card with genuine transactions I will get angry. Especially if it requires you contact them to get back up and running. Barclaycard used to ruin so many Apple product launches and game console launches for me.

Lloyds still do! Iā€™ve been buying Apple products with that card for a decade. Iā€™ve called them to tell them Iā€™ll be buying and they tell me it will be fine, then it fails. Every. Single. Time.

At what point does ā€œHmm, expensive iPhone. This could be fraud. Decline!ā€ change to ā€œYou only bought one a year ago, do you really need to upgrade again you obsessive? Approved :roll_eyes:ā€

3 Likes

That doesnā€™t happen, so itā€™s a mute scenario. I donā€™t carry any cards with me ever if itā€™s linked up Google Pay. Thereā€™s no emergency Iā€™d be in where I need to make a payment just like that it my phone ever did die off.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.