If you freeze your card, will Apple Pay continue working?

Hi, I’m very excited that Apple Pay has finally been launched.:+1:

A quick question: if for any reason a customer needed to freeze their card, would they still be able to continue making Apple Pay payments? It would be very handy to know that if a card is misplaced, it’s still possible to use Apple Pay as a backup.

Many thanks for the clarity!

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion. I obviously didn’t have my thinking cap on.

Question answered: I’ve just tried freezing my Monzo card, and got the following notification:

4 Likes

In-ter-esting!!!

1 Like

When you then thaw (unfreeze) your card, you get a second notification telling you that Apple Pay is once again available.
Monzo%20screenshot

4 Likes

I know you’ve already found your answer but it’s also on the website.

Can I continue to use Apple Pay if I freeze my card in the Monzo app?
No. If you need to freeze your card in the Monzo app your Monzo card will not work on Apple Pay.

1 Like

Wonder if you freeze your card and order a new one… does the new card become immediately available inside the app?

Edit: really need to read that webpage… it’s on there :smiley:

1 Like

Totally off topic, but is there an authoratitive list of these /features/ pages somewhere? Maybe I’m being thick, but https://monzo.com/features/ gives a 404…

1 Like

For those not on the Dev Slack, @daniel.cannon had this to say:

I’ve already shared my opinion there that if someone can use Apple Pay on your phone they’ll almost certainly be able to access Monzo on your phone and unfreeze your card, which makes this feel a bit redundant in my opinion.

Daniel also added:

Separately:

Unfortunately this doesn’t appear to be the case in Monzo currently, having just replaced a card after seeing a strange failed transaction. I was one of the few who snuck in on Tuesday though, so this might be a side effect of that (although my MacBook and iPad which I only added today also required the Apple Pay to be reprovisioned).

Edit: The official page suggests this shouldn’t be the case, so this is possibly an early adopter issue (apparently I got blocked because of too many attempts - possibly due to a dodgy connection to my watch)

1 Like

Maybe one day physical cards will be redundant

Thank you all for commenting and for sharing those details.

It feels to me like:

• losing your card and your phone at the same time is a specific use case.

• losing your card and still needing your virtual (Apple Pay) card to pay for transport To get home feels to me like a much more likely use case, so it would be great in future to have a solution that caters for it

5 Likes

Following the release of Apple Pay (finally!); I helped setup my brother a Monzo account using a golden ticket!

However for some bizarre reason; he has to wait for the old fashioned plastic card to arrive before being given the option of using Apple Pay?

If you take a look at Starling or even Boon’s setup, a virtual card is available before even the physical card arrives. Will this be reviewed? :slight_smile:

The other comment is; I’m assuming when a card is cancelled / blocked and replaced - a new Apple Pay card is automatically re-issued without the need for the new physical card?

1 Like

No you have to wait for the new physical card or to unfreeze if you have frozen it

All the answers https://monzo.com/features/apple-pay/

Edit: I believe they are keeping the option under review for the future

Not a great experience in that case; lots of the legacy banks also do it this way.
The end aim is to replace physical with virtual cards, therefore this limits customers experience and traction with virtual cards.

Scenario 1 (A prominently physical Card user) -

If their physical card is lost or stolen; the user is unable to use their virtual card as an alternative whilst waiting for physical to arrive.

Scenario 2 (A prominently virtual card user) -

If their physical card is lost/stolen; whilst they may not use often. Obviously they need to report and request a new one. However this shouldn’t penialse them and prevent them from using their virtual card still.

In this case a new virtual card should be issued immediately upon request.

Thanks for the link, should have checked that first! This is definitely something which needs to be reviewed, sooner rather then later!

1 Like

I’m just moving this to the original discussion so we can keep things together and stop the same points in multiple places :+1:

Had that happen to me with my Natwest credit card recently. Due to fraud I had to get a new card (natwest takes forever to issue those, BTW), but I could keep using Google Pay in the mean time. Was quite a nice experience, and if even NatWest (who use an online banking interface from the 80s) can do this, then Monzo should as well…

2 Likes

This isn’t really connected to frozen cards, though, the question was about onboarding, and developed into lost or stolen cards…

I think these are two distinct use cases

1. the customer freezes their card.
  2. the customer is issued a new card (replacement or first)

And I think they should be treated differently: personally I feel its reasonable and expected to block Apple/Google Pay in the 1st case, whereas it would massively improve the customer’s experience to enable Apple/Google Pay in the 2nd case.

It was going down the frozen card and replacement card route. I thought the points would overlap in a lot of cases

(I still have my ‘L’ plates on, if I make mistakes please forgive me)

3 Likes

Nothing to forgive! Just making a point (which I edited into my post while you were replying - apologies for that!) that in my opinion these two cases should be treated differently :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the new card is only available in Apple Pay once it’s been activated in the app.

Liam

1 Like

I should clarify my issues with Apple Pay auto updating. I don’t think they were necessarily related to having it in the early premature release, but rather due to having too many attempts at provisioning.

On the morning of release I provisioned two devices. That evening I activated a replacement card (and nothing happened) and then managed to provision one (of 4) devices manually before having to contact support who told me I could not activate my other devices without their intervention because there had been too many attempts. So I expect my issues were due to a sort of debounce and had I not tried to provision so many devices in a day I’d hopefully have managed it without issue.