Monzo for Android - Beta Channel Changelog 🕵

It only does this when I’m using the non-default icon. It works if I switch back.

1 Like

Changing app icons aren’t natively supported on Android.

We tried using some workarounds, but the way we did it breaks the ability to keep the app in memory (so you can switch back to it from the “recent apps” button).

For now, we’ll revert it, and may revisit in the future.

4 Likes

Thanks for trying though, appreciate the effort you and the team have put in, in trying to make this work when it’s not officially supported in Android! :slight_smile:

:scream::scream::scream:

ok I understand the decision but it’s a shame :yum:

1 Like

Ill-thought-out suggestion:
You could install an icon pack to the system, and then people could use their launchers to switch icons?
Not sure how this plays with custom shape icons, and if it was static you’d be “granted” all the icons regardless of how alpha-y or beta-y you were.

Not sure it would be very well received by the masses if their banking app wants to install an icon pack :see_no_evil:

Sounds like something a dodgy game might do, not something a banking app should consider IMO :grin:

Plenty of custom packs exist, think there’s ways to use images as icons too, there’s always that route if a user wants that. But not something monzo should be pushing :yum:

I’ve already given a couple of suggestions to monzo for ways that other app developers implement multi-icons in their apps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe it is me but I would far rather developer time was spent on tidying summary, payees and bring other features than working on app icons.

2 Likes

Nooooooooooo! :cold_sweat: works fine for me on Oxygen OS and Nova :sunglasses:

Me too. Why revert it? Just put a warning on that it only works with certain launchers.

Works fine on my mate 10. Please don’t revert :sob::grin:

It works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S9.

Hi everyone. We’re shipping an update to revert the ability to choose a custom icon.

The reason we’re doing this is that the workarounds we used to implement this causes issues with other app functionality (multitasking) on some popular devices and launchers.

Unfortunately, the workarounds mean that if you have enabled a custom icon, and update the app to this version, then you’ll lose the ability to open the app! :see_no_evil:

Please revert to the default icon before upgrading to the latest beta. If you don’t, you’ll have to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Sorry!

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered how the clock and calendar do it… secret APIs that haven’t (as far as I know) been reverse engineered yet.

I love living on the edge :sunglasses:

1 Like

Can confirm that if you update without reverting the icon then the app becomes inaccessible (no icon, can’t open from play store even :poop:)

Edit: you can still get to it from notifications

2 Likes

Is it possible to have different icons as shortcut widgets instead?

Version 2.19.1 is up :see_no_evil:

I refuse to update :joy::joy::joy: I love my beta icon :scream:

Screenshot_20181012-195429

APK mirror: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/monzo/monzo-bank/monzo-bank-2-19-1-release/monzo-bank-2-19-1-android-apk-download/

4 Likes

I updated and the Monzo icon has gone from the launcher and I cannot open from play store either!20181012_200128

Uninstall and reinstall

It was explained above

2 Likes

FYI

2 Likes