Android Dev Update

I want to share in a bit more detail our Android plans and how the full app is progressing. This is a bit risky but hopefully you guys will be understanding when we inevitably get delayed/run into problems etc. with all the usual things that happen in software development :wink: Transparency ftw.

Weā€™ve been updating the current version of the Android app (v0.1) with bug fixes and will very soon (late this week/early next week) have an update in the Play Store that adds some more content to the waiting list and brings it up to par with iOS (this means we can send people on the waiting list additional information about wait times, ask them questions etc.).

Much more excitingly, our first full time Android engineer is starting on Monday! :tada: :tada: :tada: Iā€™m hoping heā€™ll be able to take this thread over once he does because his focus will be to get something out to our wonderful Android beta testers as soon as possible with ā€˜main appā€™ functionality ā€“ this will be super basic, showing you your feed and balance, but from there should develop quite quickly.

Iā€™m just as impatient as all of you because @dom and I are the only Android users in the office (once everyone sees how much better the :robot: version is I think thatā€™ll change :wink: ). Weā€™re also hiring for a second engineer to join so let us know if you know of anyoneā€¦

Hope that makes sense and thank you for your patience! We really are making progress on Android now and we canā€™t wait to share it with all of you :smiley:

15 Likes

Great to hear. Canā€™t wait to get some main app functionality
Transparency ftw! :wink:

2 Likes

This is fantastic news! Happy to beta test, once youā€™ve appropriate stable codeā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Exciting stuff :blush:

2 Likes

PS. Best bet for beta testing is to make sure youā€™re on the current beta (I think you can access it from our Play Store app page) and weā€™ll roll it out there first :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™d happily join as a coder for the Android app. I canā€™t write a lick of code. Is that a barrier to entry?

1 Like

Youā€™re hired Chris :tada:

2 Likes

Result!

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.

1 Like

Hi Tristan,

I hope your new :mondo: Android Dev Engineer is settling in nicely? Looking forward to an introduction, and wishing him all the best :slight_smile:

Jon

He certainly is! Meet @joluet :tada: Hopefully heā€™ll be up for giving some semi-regular updates on progress over the coming months in this thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, itā€™s great to see that youā€™re excited about the Mondo Android app.
To be honest Iā€™m really looking forward to using it myself. :smiley:

Iā€™ve already started writing some source code and like Tristan mentioned above weā€™re aiming to get out a release with some very basic features to our Android beta testers as soon as possible.

Iā€™ll post more updates on this soon.

5 Likes

Who isnā€™t excited to use itšŸ˜‹. But seriously try and keep us posted. Helps to build trust. Something that mondo is doing very well ATM

1 Like

Hey @joluet - congrats on the new job! I had a quick look on the Play Store (as @tristan suggested above) but canā€™t see any difference between the ā€œregularā€ Mondo app and one that might be flagged as a ā€œbetaā€. Is there some other step we might need to go through in order to get access to the beta? I know from running beta programmes in the past, I had to be running a Google+ community in order to grant users access to the beta apk.

Anyhow - really looking forwards to seeing the fruits of your labour!

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks @DavidC. As soon as we have a version of the app in our beta channel it should appear on the Play Store as itā€™s a public beta. However, you can already join the beta channel here, too.

Btw, I made some good progress on the transaction feed yesterday.

3 Likes

Looks as though the bundle identifier for that app is slightly wrongā€¦ Itā€™s currently ā€œco.uk.getmondoā€, which would imply Mondoā€™s website is https://getmondo.uk.co - shouldnā€™t it be ā€œuk.co.getmondoā€?

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve noticed that, too. Unfortunately thatā€™s something you canā€™t just change after publishing on the Play Store.

1 Like

:frowning: Itā€™ll be a good memory of older times ā€“ especially once weā€™ve changed the name :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Quick update: Iā€™ve finished the implementation of a basic transaction feed. Also, Iā€™ve integrated our support chat. I think weā€™re on track to release something to our beta channel at the end of next week or the beginning of the week after. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey!:joy::joy::joy:. Iā€™ll be a beta tester

1 Like

I will be too. Anyone who wants to do that can just register for it here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co.uk.getmondo

1 Like