Monzo Desktop App - WIP

This looks great :nerd_face: Would love to be able to access my Monzo account via macOS!

1 Like

Would be down for testing. Looking good, man.

1 Like

Appreciate it! Monux was definitely part of the inspiration for starting this project (among other things)

Related: Monzo Desktop App - Quids

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I was aware of Quids before I started this - unfortunately the last I heard they’ve moved to the cryptocurrency side of things rather than Monzo!

1 Like

Quite sad they moved from real money to virtual pump & dump schemes that have yet to solve any real-world problem. :joy:

2 Likes

I believe that’s all about following the trends, people were talking about Monzo so it made sense, but then everybody covered Bitcoin.

I’m not interested in coverage, followers, or the sort - So there’s no risk of trends redirecting the purpose of my work. That’s not to rule out supporting more providers though down the line!

3 Likes

Needs a dark mode - even better a coral mode :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, huge fan of a dark mode! :dark_sunglasses:

Luckily with Mojave just round the corner, I get quite a lot given to me - I’ve built the app in a way which makes it easier to define dark colours for everything!

Unfortunately I’m not on Mojave at the moment, but I might ask a few testers to give it a go if I put in some “sensible” colours! :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

It really looks slick and very on brand! Top work.

Have Monzo responded yet? I wonder if they are for/against things like this?

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the remarks :heart:

I’ve spoken to a couple of devs and Tristan who have all mostly said good things! The only negative was to make it look less like an official app (Naming/Logo) which was already on my agenda!

I believe the link was shared internally too, I wonder what they’ve said behind doors? :thinking:

Good names are difficult to come up with :grimacing:

I don’t think they’re inherently against this, as long as I’m a good citizen about things like permissions and stuff!

I’d be dubious about giving my information to a chap called Sherlock :joy:

But in all seriousness, it does look the part - I guess from a corporate point of view, they are probably worried about the transparency from the developer (you), how official it looks (right now, you’d think it was official), and how long you could maintain it for (nothing worse than getting 1000’s of people onto an unofficial platform that looks official, only for the dev to cease active development).

But other than that, I can see it being a huge help for a lot of people, and clearly you are a very talented guy!

2 Likes

Ahhah I’m a good guy, honest! :angel:

I completely get that, it’s one of the many reasons why I’d like to open source this. Not only does it enable a level of transparency between me, Monzo and any users but also means if I do choose to stop maintaining it - it has the chance to continue where it would otherwise die immediately! :skull_and_crossbones:

I’m going to take “it looks official” as a compliment :man_shrugging: UI/UX isn’t my good side, so to make something that isn’t terrible is really great!

I see this tool as completely additive too, with a few exceptions it’s functionality should just be streamlining actions you can already do with the app. Making things like screenshots, tagging, notes and such easier to write and upload. - This also lowers the overall risk because while your life might be a bit more difficult, it’s not going to be impossible!

It’s also worth noting, as I mentioned briefly in the initial post, I’m building something that I find useful. So unless I stop using Monzo, I’m going to find this useful, and want to continue maintaining and upgrading this app!

It’s a concern, I understand that - but hopefully you can understand my position here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This looks amazing :slight_smile: I would love to test it when you’re ready!!

1 Like

Love the look of this!

1 Like

Really do appreciate all the support I’ve been given, people do fire criticism and ideas in here too - really helps to improve the product! :heart:

Had a migraine last night so didn’t get much done, but done a few things already tonight (world cup time tho):

• Added support for all currency codes under ISO 4217 with their symbols
    • Great for those international payments and holidays abroad!
  • Added the merchant emoji in the transaction view
    • I’ll say it was for Emma but I’ve had a buncha requests for this :speak_no_evil:
  • Very early work on a dark mode (Thanks to @billinghamj for giving this an early test for me since I don’t have Mojave! :heart:)
    • Need to really fine tune the colours now and get it looking a little less insane!
  • Couple other minor tweaks including:
    • Thousands separator on balances (I don’t have this much money…)
    • Fixed issues with non square merchant images
    • Drastically improved the scrolling performance on the Pot History page!
5 Likes

How’s the security on this? Where are tokens and client info stored?

1 Like

Client information, tokens and the sort are stored using Apple’s Keychain security, locked down with limited access

Authentication uses the expected state key which is hashed before being stored

I do plan on enabling app-level passcode access to à la app at a later date

Happy to take suggestions on how to make it even more secure though

4 Likes

I do plan on enabling app-level passcode access to à la app at a later date

Not sure if there’s any point for that - anyone using the machine could just open a Terminal and extract the auth tokens from there directly.

1 Like

Non of the keys that are stored in the keychain are readable in plain text, they need to be decrypted with salts that are built into the binary itself.

It’s not bullet proof, but far from plain text - So I do see some value in it!

Also it’s not always just about someone malicious trying to get into someones account, it might be someone on my computer for a few moments and I don’t want them opening my Monzo app and seeing my info!

Either way, it’ll be 100% optional - If you don’t want that extra step, you don’t need to! :heart:

3 Likes