Monzo and Starling CEOs on today's outage (25/10/2017)

And hopefully by next year having a good view of it all in a single place once PSD2 kicks in :smile:

1 Like

The issue isnā€™t that theyā€™re working with GPS, itā€™s that theyā€™re not dumping GPS. GPS have demonstrated time after time that theyā€™re an incompetently run company, so why are Starling propping them up? Why are Starling patching up GPSā€™ systems, rather than building their own?

7 Likes

Iā€™d imagine theyā€™re doing both. I canā€™t imagine switching payment processor is a quick job.

2 Likes

We accept full responsibility. Our customer support team was working late into the night to help customers who were impacted, and we will compensate people for any loss caused.

These outages are totally unacceptable, and weā€™re working hard to ensure they stop. I realise that if weā€™re not able to solve these issues, we will lose the trust of our customers, and we will no longer have a business.

The best solution we have is to build and run our own card processor - this is already live with the current account, and weā€™re experiencing much better stability so far.

26 Likes

This doesnā€™t look like ā€œno responsibilityā€ to me: https://twitter.com/Certified_Ko/status/923269690947964935

7 Likes

No its childish. And this forum to some extent resembles a junior high school.

1 Like

I blame @anon72173902 :wink:
(if in doubt, blame Danny)

3 Likes

Take it as a compliment. The most talked thread outside the ATM fee isā€¦Starling.

You take that back right now!

2 Likes

Do we have to go to Starling for a graduate forum :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Sorry for the dig if it offends you but community needs to bit light hearted most of us have pretty serious jobs i guess and this community is right mix of some serious discussions/ideas and some casual comments

3 Likes

This kinda high school?

4 Likes

Sign me up :smile::+1:

I can very much attest to that! Iā€™ve been rocking the CA since mid-August, Iā€™ve used it everyday in the UK and even took a visit to Majorca! So far itā€™s been flawless for DDā€™s, salary, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Itā€™s fantastic, I frequently get looks of ā€œOoo thatā€™s a funky colourā€ :wink:

The CA combines all the perfect bits of Monzo with full banking capabilities, Iā€™ll never look back at a highstreet bank (other than for savings / mortgage, etc. :wink:)

Iā€™m definitely glad to have missed the pre-paid outagesā€¦ But Iā€™ve been there where the cardā€™s declined a few times and the backup card has to come outā€¦ It sucks! But itā€™s part of Monzoā€™s journey, a journey which is about to become even better (current accounts) :smiley:

11 Likes

Discussion is about respective CEOs responding to exact same issue. I have read both and checked communities one thing which stands out for me is so much praise starling CEO got after her statement where she failed to apologise. People are just thanking her and praising her like she is their bossā€¦ Here Monzo CEO apologies and takes full responsibility but get few likes no ā€˜Oh thanks Tom we love you Tomā€™ ā€¦
I would like to understand this difference in approach at both communitiesā€¦ Please donā€™t take this personally if you are a starling user but go and read the thread on the link in original post and share what you make of this ā€¦ I am not a starling user and because that community forces you to login with twitter/gmail I didnā€™t bother commenting.

6 Likes

I currently use Starling more than Monzo CA, and did read the thread and agree with your view. I did not comment on it, as I wasnā€™t affected by it on any of the occasions this week, that said when I read the response it didnā€™t fill be with confidence. I am however watching(reading) closely.

1 Like

i noticed that too.

not to say that @tom is under appreciated or anything, but the arse licking was a bit much imo

2 Likes

I found that bizarre too. I was on the verge of switching completely to Starling but their tepid response to this issue will probably have me going back to NatWest, at least for a while.

I suspect the differing responses to the CEOs has a lot to do with the feel of the companies. To me, Starling feels like a bank - to have the CEO of a bank personally respond on a forum feels unusual and praiseworthy. Monzo, on the other hand, feels like a startup that happens to have a banking app, and a startup CEO responding on a forum just feels normal, and hence less notable.

9 Likes

I think Geoff is spot-on itā€™s all about the perception. Starling leaves you with a very corporate feeling from their card delivery to customer service responses. Monzo, on the other hand, has a very casual but personal approach from emojis use by there customer service to the hot coral card :slight_smile:
Maybe not to everyoneā€™s taste but most here seem happy

1 Like

yeah, I would love to know the count of :wave:

Itā€™s called misdirection, look at how good we look and you wonā€™t notice how shit we areā€¦

2 Likes