Monzo and Starling CEOs on today's outage (25/10/2017)

So went to check Starling Community to see what they are saying about outages. CEO has put up a statement, you can read Here
I am a Starling customer (Soon to be ex - Andriod pay is Here :wink: ) and was disappointed to see the word apology missing from the statement. There was bit of blame transfer as well, I wonder who is

one particular pre-paid card issuer

Monzon CEO @tom also put up this blog post (statement) on the 4th line he just simply apologised and went on to explain CA roll out, kinda assured that these outages will all but history.

Someone asked about the difference other day at another thread - I think here it is. I donā€™t want to start Monzo v Starling just wanted to highlight different approaches and perhaps mentality.

Edit:: Screenshot if link is not working

4 Likes

At what point do these all of these fintech companies start publicly shaming their third-party provider GPS into action?

2 Likes

Another problem with Starlingā€¦
You canā€™t publicly see their outage related blog posts.

Would you be able to screenshot and post here? :slight_smile:

I do wonder myselfā€¦

1 Like

Anne specifically mentioned GPS actually. The post is accessible via their forum homepage.

Working link:

1 Like

I think the sensible ones are just moving away from them so they donā€™t have to. I seem to remember Revolut were also building their own processing system?

2 Likes

I guess contract they have signed up to will not allow them to criticise GPS publicly.
I was surprised to discover GPS has only 278 flowers on twitter and they never mention any outages
https://twitter.com/GPS_Processor

1 Like

I do find Starling to be very corporate. I keep seeing the expression ā€œStarling are a bank trying to be fintech and Monzo are a fintech trying to be a bankā€ which I think sums it up quite well.

Which works better, if either, weā€™ll find out but Starling havenā€™t had a smooth start. Lots of time to go and lessons to be learnt yet though.

4 Likes

Outside of early adopters, youā€™d expect people to be more comfortable with a company being a secure, stable bank first, then focusing on tech, then the other way round. Get the basics right first.

I have updated the link and screenshots for others :slight_smile:

I donā€™t understand the prepaid issuer jab. Iā€™m not sure how responding to outages (one company) affects the stability of a supplier ā€¦

1 Like

It turned out no one asked for an apology so I just asked and got it :wink:

Capture000

1 Like

Was just about to link that. I little awkward :flushed:

Lol, not sure you should have to ask for one thoughā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

It would be the first thing Iā€™d be doing if a load of my customers couldnā€™t use my product for a few hours!

3 Likes

Well just wanted to check donā€™t ask donā€™t get theory. I can confirm it works :smiley:

3 Likes

ā€œAs I write, some of our amazing Starling engineers are working directly at the premises of our supplier, GPS, to ensure that Starling customers continue to enjoy all the benefits we offer.ā€

Sorry but no, I donā€™t believe this bitā€¦ A ā€œtiny challenger bankā€ allowed in to GPS premises??? Nah :joy_cat:

2 Likes

beleive what you want when it is true

I really want Starling to succeed but if they keep this nonsense going on theyā€™ll die off and potentially give a bad image to all the challenger banks in the eyes of the general public.

Maybe we can all contribute a few bucks to fund their in-house card processing infrastructure? :joy:

1 Like

Also, does this imply there are permenantly Starling engineers seconded to GPS in order to fix their payment systems :wink:

It does indeed, but then also what exactly is the GPS Starling relationship i.e. secret investment?