Mobile Providers

My money’s on EE. They’re almost always first (especially when it’s a thing Apple are backing for their phones), and they’re almost always best.

3 Likes

EE are ok, just rather expensive and hit and miss.

Three has been good for me for the most part. Vodafone too.

O2 is very hit and miss :sweat_smile:

Random esim fact, I very recently Iearned that Vodafone and EE both don’t support UMTS on eSims.

Wouldn’t worry about it too much… 3G will be gone in 2/3 years.

3 Likes

It use to be o2 when the iPhone first launched :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I remember as they were the only network who supported VVM

Despite Android phones having VVM, it seems to be iPhone exclusive, all these years later still

I cannot convince my company that launching it on Android is what customers want. Despite knowing that customers do want it! I’ve been trying for over 6 years.

All I can say is please moan at your operator, tweet them asking about it, complain it’s not available etc

2 Likes

3 have decided that my current package no longer exists, now that the contract is up, I have options… One of those is the actual current package I’m on but it’s a 1 month rolling contract rather than a 12 month,. All they want for this is an additional £9 per month, on top of what I’m paying them already.

So I’m off to iD mobile which uses the 3 network. I get more data than now and it’s £2 cheaper than what I pay, plus a £40 gift card.

3 cut my data off when I was in Portugal a couple of weeks ago and i’d not gone anywhere near my spend limit for the daily roaming charge or the data fair usage limit ended. They couldn’t reconnect me at all while I was away and didn’t know what had happened :neutral_face:

Ended up complaining when I got back home and their initial response was to offer a months credit but after a little rant I was asked would I like to leave? So they’ve agreed to end my contract 15 months early at no charge! Now looking for a new Network that doesn’t use 3

1 Like

Not sure what you pay or how much you use?

Smarty have 50 GB for £10, 100gb for £12, with unlimited calls, SMS, pic messaging and 12gb roaming. They use Three network, unrestricted.

2 Likes

…and on a rolling one month contract. Plus a £10 referral gift card.

1 Like

The deals last at least 12 months for the deal you choose, worthwhile if you get good Three coverage.

With the Three/Vodafone merger hype, I’d not expect Three 5G to remain blisteringly fast once Vodafone has access to the infrastructure.

Makes financial sense for Vodafone. The takeover of Three is probably cheaper than it is to replace/install new 5G across the country, thus meaning a short term spend achieving a long term return.

Happy shareholders :upside_down_face::man_shrugging::sweat_smile:

At the moment I’ve got a 3 physical SIM and a Vodafone eSIM. My physical SIM is always a lower data amount, generally around 10 GB, although iD mobile one will be 15 GB. My eSIM has a pretty big allowance. I tend to work it that way so that I’ve always got a backup connection available.

Yeah if 3 is the backhaul you want, smarty is usually the one to go with, unless you need something specifically from iD that you can’t get from smarty, but not sure what there is.

Their roaming fair use policy is better than Smarty, and they have data rollover on all of their plans.

2 Likes

I actually forgot about this, I was with them years ago. Was always helpful having it roll over

I’ve just joined Smarty on the cheapest 4GB plan to check out the 3 coverage. It used to be pretty awful here but now I have full-strength 5G at home at ~500 Mb/s. I’ve used 2GB in less than 24 hours just running speed checks!

I want to change to the £10 plan but it’s only offering me 30GB, not 50GB. The only mention of 50GB is on the website itself and if you try and buy it, it asks you to create a new account.

Is it only available when you purchase a SIM?

I can’t see any mention of 100GB for £12 at all.

1 Like

I’d contact them and see what they say. Given that you are almost a brand new customer who is threatening to leave, they might be flexible.

Or cancel your current plan and reapply (I did this to take advantage of a new customer offer, albeit with a six month gap).

You need to contact chat and ask them to change it for you. Any offer on the smarty home page will be available.

Worth asking them about the 100gb £12 too as it’s 3x the £10 data for extra £2.

1 Like

Thanks - I did this anyway and they’ve changed it to 50GB for £10. That will be more than enough for a backup SIM :slight_smile:

Edit: Realised that I hadn’t set up a payment method so I’ve done that and it’s now saying that it’ll renew at 4GB for £6. I wonder if I’ve messed it up…

2 Likes