Mobile Providers

Looking for a new sim only contract. Are there any challenger networks? Not after recommendations over the big existing networks or comments on signal in certain areas and so on.

I think while back I heard about a new network, but they did not provide 4G? If that was a real thing, who were they, and do they offer 4G now?

1 Like

It might have been Zevvle which are an MVNO using EE - https://zevvle.com/

7 Likes

I think there are only four networks; Three, Vodafone, O2, EE.

All others piggyback on those.

I use Smarty, which is owned by Three. They have an innovative charging structure which suits my needs.

4 Likes

Yes my bad - I mean service provider as opposed to physical network. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your average mins and data usage?

2 Likes

It varies, but Iā€™m more interested in any innovative providers or pricing structures, over specific recommendations based on usage.

1 Like

Might have been this thread I remember

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

As for recommends I was on idmobile on a Ā£5mth for 3GB data, 500mins, unlimited txts. They kept on honouring this for years.

Now on a Sky Mobile 3GB data, unlimited calls, unlimited txts which is Ā£6mth, but works out at Ā£27 for the whole year factoring in Ā£45 Quidco cashback.

I use Smarty but Zevvle sounds similar, but at a quick glance it looks like itā€™s a bit more expensive. But I would prefer to be on their EE network :thinking:

Edit: those are very good deals youā€™ve had :sweat_smile:

I did try and call up so see if they sky would honour the hidden Ā£3 deal for the same as mentioned in the other sim thread, but they said try calling back as it isnā€™t in our system atm.

Ā£3 x 12 = Ā£36
Minus Ā£45

= They pay me Ā£9 for the year sounds like winning.

Worth keeping an eye on MSE but doesnā€™t look like any good deals atm

Every holiday period, theyā€™ve increased the data by 1GB on this Ā£6 plan, but you have to check for it and change your plan manually. About a week or so ago, they had, and may still have a data plan of 10GB for Ā£10 per month which I switched to, so itā€™s worth checking the options from time to time too.

I personally love the piggy bank feature which is my primary reason for staying with them at this point.

2 Likes

Zevvle is excellent if the EE network provides sufficient coverage for you (unfortunately it didnā€™t for me :sob:). Excellent, responsive company, and great app. Service was top notch.

4 Likes

Looking for a new provider and had a few questions about Zevvle, if anyone knows (or if @nbgoodall is around? :slight_smile: )

Just wondered if they can offer E-sims for iPhones, (I would like to have two lines, one for personal + data, one with just calls).

And also if itā€™s possible to get a data sim for the Apple Watch? I know EE are a provider, but not sure if Zevvle going through EEā€™s network counts?

Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi @BritishLibrary,

Unfortunately, Zevvle doesnā€™t support eSIM at this time either for the iPhone or Apple Watches.

But if youā€™re after more information and to keep updated, Zevvle has a forum that runs on Discourse just like here over at: https://community.zevvle.com

4 Likes

There are so many threads on mobile networks, but with the big one not being active since 2019, this seems to be the most appropriate to revive

Iā€™ve just stumbled across what I gather to be a new network called To The Moon Mobile.

Runs on the EE backhaul, pricing seems very reasonable, the website and app are slick to use, which is a rare occurrence in the mobile space.

Itā€™s PAYG in the form of bundles, with esims coming soon along with the ability to have some choice in choosing your mobile number which is nice. Iā€™m all for vanity numbers, as one of my voip numbers for instance spells out my dogā€™s name, so goes on her name tag, which is nice to have.

Thereā€™s no mention if they support any of the carrier centric iOS features, but given that theyā€™re not touched upon I will presume they donā€™t, which are the most tempting aspects of EEā€™s network.

Iā€™m currently with Sky Mobile, and their pricing seems to be inline with what I get from Sky, and runs on a network I consider to be superior. But. Sky have a piggy bank, and thatā€™s been a game changing feature for me that I canā€™t live without now. I donā€™t use my phone outdoors enough to justify paying for hefty amounts of data or unlimited every month, but there were occasions pre-covid, where I would travel for a bit and burn through a lot of data, which the piggy bank covered at no extra cost.

1 Like

I have 3 numbers (family) with Sky Mobile and wouldnā€™t go elsewhere at this stage - itā€™s a great value service. My own is with Vodafone which is not as good but as itā€™s subsidised by work, I canā€™t complain :wink:

2 Likes

On Voxi here which is a Vodafone company. Ā£10/month for 12 gig & unlimited mins/texts which does me fine. They also give you free stuff most months, got a Ā£25 bundle from MyProtein last month!

Choosing your own number seems nice.

Iā€™ve had mine forever so not sure if this is a new thing or not?

Itā€™s not a new thing, but itā€™s a novelty in the mainstream and not very common.

3 Likes