Maximum daily ATM withdrawal

Barclays let me take out £1000 from the ATM each day…

As others have said, Monzo isn’t really one for working with cash - all the benefits are working entirely with the card usage.

1 Like

So when you use the word “people”, you just mean you.

1 Like

No I mean what the word means.

I never get the fury against people who have a different use case to others. Why blindly deny it for ages when it’s clearly something that does affect people? What exactly are you losing here?

No, I understood perfectly well thanks.

Very useful to know, thank you :slight_smile:

Sad but true it’s not mature enough yet for cash users.

This needs to be outside banking hours. I’ve taken much more than £5k out of most branches at the counter without notice. You just have to sit through an anti-scam spiel. This is definitely necessary for almost anyone if you’re doing something like buying a car or other high value item.

There’s definitely per-ATM limits and per-bank limits and neither are always £500.

I can often top up by debit card but sometimes the speed of having cash versus a card transaction is worth a few weeks wages.

So lighten up a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

A tongue-in-cheek response was given but one that added nothing to the thread. I clarified to two errors anyway.

Not sure I’m following you (or what value you’re attempting to add to the conversation with rude and demeaning replies like this)?

Perhaps it would be best to return to the topic at this point

2 Likes

We seemed to lose that shortly after the original question was answered. Along with civility, in my opinion. I’m out. No doubt to the relief of the OP.

1 Like

Curve allows you to withdraw up to £1000 per day, I use that to make one monthly withdrawal of £650 from my Starling account and it works fine.

Doing it directly with the Starling card I’d need to split it over two days.

1 Like

Its not about maturity, Monzo isn’t trying to appeal to cash heavy customers being a virtual bank designed for the cashless app generation.

Out of interest what bank allowed you to take more than £5,000 over the counter without notice? Are you still with that bank?

Why not use that bank (or another that has a high daily withdrawal) and also have a Monzo account to take advantage of the app based banking?

I suspect a good percentage of Monzo users won’t have £5,000 balance let alone the need for frequently withdrawing £5,000 at a time.

The only use case is having a decent balance and wanting to buy a second hand car in cash, even that said I personally wouldn’t do that with more than £3k and I was perfectly sure I wasn’t about to be robbed or scammed.

All £500 limit I meant, but I stand corrected if Barclays does £1000.

Edit: so a quick look and you’ll need to be on a salary of £75,000+ or holding £100,000 in your Barclays to be able to take £1000 out at a time.

If you can afford to withdraw £5,000 frequently then you may well meet those requirements.

For everybody else its £300.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve done large withdrawals with Santander and Halifax before. They don’t always have £50s but I’ve done low 4 figs many many times as a walk in. It’s just got a bit slower in the last few years.

Using multiple banks is what I have to do at present.

The limits don’t make much sense to me especially when things like faster payments vary between £10k and £25k depending on the bank.

All my cars have been bought second hand in cash and I think that’s pretty normal for the 1000s that are sold all the time on Gumtree and ebay.

There are plenty of other >£1000 items sold on there every day with transactions being done in similar ways. I’ve bought/sold sound systems, white goods, TVs, servers, parachutes, bikes, furniture, etc. in cash in the last few years.

That’s great :slight_smile: Seems like it might be my best option.

edit: couple of, erm, curveballs potentiallywith that:

ATM withdrawal fair use

Curve’s fees and limits are separate from any terms your card issuer may apply to cash withdrawals or similar transactions. Please check your card issuer’s terms of service for clarification.

ATM domestic frequency fair usage

ATM usage is free for up to 10 domestic (withdrawals in the same currency as your Funding Source) withdrawals per calendar month after which time you may be charged £0.50 (or currency equivalent) per usage for each additional ATM withdrawal.

Thanks a lot; very useful. And I wish!

As mentioned Santander is def £5,000 max in branch, you need to give 2 days notice if you want more in a single day, or just visit say two days if you wanted £10,000.

Halifax is £2,500 max without notice.

Again there’s a good chance unless you’re going to the main banks in cities rather than towns that they might not have it available there and then.

Yeah I don’t think Monzo is after the cash heavy demographic, its the PayPal or credit cards or direct faster payments.

If you see what Monzo has on its cash depositing from selling said items you’ll wince, £1000 max deposit limit every 180 days.

Basically Monzo isn’t about cash.

3 Likes

Ditto, HSBC let me do the same as standard… and even years ago when I had a different account, I could call them and request my ATM limit be changed permanently

1 Like

Other banks are likely to have higher cash withdrawal limits then the ex-Building Societies you mention who tend to have smaller safes than traditional banks (Lloyds, HSBC, Barclays, NatWest)

1 Like

According to the app, Fineco has a daily ATM limit of up to £5,000, although I’ve never tried to withdraw anything like that amount.

After checking my account, it says daily limit: £5,000. Monthly limit: £5,000 so I’m not sure what the deal is!!

1 Like

Could be both. If you tak 5k our on the first of the month, you can’t take any more out until the first of next month.

4 Likes

I’m tempted to put £5k in the account now and see what happens when I try and withdraw at an ATM. It’ll probably explode.

Then it’ll take me 2 and a half years to pay it back into Monzo!

4 Likes

Do it! Enquiring minds must know!

Luckily with almost any other bank account it will take five mins max to pay it back in.

The ATM will state that there is a withdrawal limit on the ATM for single transactions set by the ATM provider so you will need to do it in batches.

1 Like

Then the question is how to find out the ATM limit since some UK ones can apparently do at least £1k.