Mastercard lose battle over card charges

I’m in London and I can’t go cashless (not that I would want to) as there are still a lot of independent shops that don’t accept cards.

1 Like

Where abouts?

Here in Shoreditch even the small independent off-licenses accept cards no problem.

1 Like

I don’t know where this ‘outside London’ thing comes from, as if as soon you cross outside the M25 everything switches back to the 1950s. It’s kind of ignorant.

I can’t remember the last time I handled cash - I live near Southampton and work all around Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire. I use chain stores, little shops, pubs, car parks, etc, etc. Everywhere from cities to tiny hamlets - and I’ve been cashless for a very long time. Not even intentionally, just because I don’t need cash anymore and it’s easier without it.

Places that won’t take cards for any amount and places without contactless are very few and far between - everywhere. If people are coming across lots of them then they must be very very unlucky.

2 Likes

Hampshire is the fourth richest English county by GVA, so maybe that explains it comparing it with poorer places in Essex?

Even in Barrow, the vast majority of places accept card (granted, it’s a relatively large town, but still).

There are a small number of independent stores that don’t accept card, but a tenner from a cash machine every now and then covers that (although it is a pain in the arse).

There seem to be more places in London that don’t accept card (or have a minimum purchase) than Barrow (after allowing for the different sizes).

1 Like

I don’t know, it’s the same whenever I go up to Bradford to see my mum. Although it’s a city, some of the the areas around it are very rural and I’ve still never had a problem being cashless.

Bradford and the rest of West Yorkshire, urban and rural, contain some of the most deprived areas in the UK.

It’s weird that London people, who talk about ‘outside London’ as if it’s a huge wasteland are the people who have the most problems with being cashless.

Maybe the reason others comment about ‘outside of London’ is due to the fact that ‘Londoners’ would need to carry too MUCH cash to pay for their :beer: and so HAVE to use a card :joy:

4 Likes

How do I get a title like “Master of the Rolls”?
Can I be “Master of the Fig Rolls”?

3 Likes

Ah hipster central well it figures does it not? I’m in NW London.

1 Like

I had to do some work recently on adding judicial titles, turns out the full title is “The Right Honourable The Master of the Rolls”, what a mouthful! I’d want to be “Master of the baguettes” though :smiley: