Map transaction data - ✅ or ❌?

Community forum favourite @tjvr asked a question this week on Slack about the map data attached to each transaction.

Thought we’d share it here and see what you all think :thinking:

(@Peter_G poll might be needed)

11 Likes

I think it’s useful, as long the PED is registered at the address and not miles away in a HQ as that benefits no one. There’s little Monzo can do to Police that though

3 Likes

Do we think the map on the transactions screen is useful?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

And with more nuance:

• Unequivocally yes
  • Yes, for in person card transactions only
  • I like the idea, but I can’t always trust the data
  • No, because it’s usually wrong
  • No, I never refer to it

0 voters

Which of these catches your eye?

• Remove the map on the transaction screen
  • Better map with multiple transactions / hotspots / spend amounts on it
  • Search / filter by location
  • Be able to flag a transaction as offline (and therefore not mapped)
  • Manually change location for a transaction
  • Have a different way to look at / interrogate geographical data
  • Something else (tell us below)

0 voters

All the pollz. Vote. And tell your friends!

6 Likes

I only check to see if it’s correct, and regardless of whether it is or not, I think “…Ok?”, and never look at it again.

2 Likes

I think it’s particularly useful if I forget where I’ve been, if the merchant name is wrong or I otherwise think there might have been fraud.

5 Likes

Genuinely alarmed to find he has a human face and is not a sentient blue orb.

10 Likes

My something else is really simple. Please use Apple Maps for it on iOS.

11 Likes

I rarely look at the map on the transaction screen, I wouldn’t miss it if it went away as long as the address was clickable to launch in maps.

The current heat map is pretty decent as is and I wouldn’t that to go away, I like checking it now and then and showing other monzo customers because no one seems to know about it.

1 Like

I think the idea is useful, though I never use it because I know what I spend so don’t ever need to check where exactly I spent it.

2 Likes

He is a cutie!

For me, it goes into the same bucket as rich merchant data - if it is (often) incorrect then it is not worth keeping IMO.

4 Likes

I think I’ve not asked the most important question.

How frequently do you consult the transaction map?

• Always
  • Daily
  • Weekly
  • Monthly
  • Quarterly
  • Yearly
  • Greater than yearly
  • Never

0 voters

@AlanDoe @tjvr do you collect this level of analytics in the app? :thinking:

6 Likes

Agreed.

8 Likes

Mixed feelings. When I first saw maps I was like “how cool is that” and I still think they are, to an extent.

For the rare occasion where the merchant data is something like “Tesco store 4474” the map is super useful to see where it really is.

However since moving to First Direct I can’t say I’ve missed the map feature. It just doesn’t have the same coolness, to me anyway, that it once did.

Give me correct merchant locations and the map can go for me.

4 Likes

I really like the map :frowning:

1 Like

This is probably. The impact on new users and creating new differentiation shouldn’t be forgotten. I agree after 6 or so years it has less impact (has it always been there?! I feel like it has!)

One thing that would be cool would be a map of transactions you could swipe and zoom around, much like apple photos.

Now, I’m aware this has limitations in that some merchants will be either slightly wrong or just totally wrong. However if you can see a heat map around your local coffee shop maybe it might nudge you to make a home coffee and save the big bucks

5 Likes

@tjvr is blushing.

2 Likes

You mean, like the transaction map , accessed via the personal profile screen on Android? My wish would be for this to be made more discoverable…

4 Likes

Im with @N26throwaway too:

Edited: as per Peter useful reply

2 Likes