Making Monzo: Cheque Imaging

Could someone possibly link to the post that contains the vote for this feature, or at least an over all summary and close this thread if it is not going ahead anymore.
I would like this feature to be introduced but understand Monzo have it on the back burner at the moment.

1 Like

Here you go

1 Like

Nope

There is a massive poll knocking around somewhere. While it would seem that people want this, when it goes up against other features they’d rather have those :man_shrugging:

Either way, you’ll probably need to wait until September to find out like they mentioned :slight_smile:

So I’ve sent off my first cheque to Monzo… Interested to see how long it takes to get processed

Massive poll:

Occasionally I receive cheques in the post to be paid into my account. My main bank gives me the option to pay in the cheque by taking a photo of both sides, which is then put to pending status until the cheque has been verified, at which point the funds become available to spend. I think this is a great idea, it saves time and effort having to go to the bank to deposit the cheque in person, and also is quicker and more secure than sending a cheque by post. It would be great if Monzo could adopt a similar feature.

4 Likes

I sent my cheque Thursday last week (it’s now Tuesday for those who read this message in the future…) - how long have people had to wait before getting a notification to say the cheque has been received?

Sorry to tell you this but the last one I sent was posted on July 8th ( with a first class stamp, not Freepost) and I didn’t receive a notification until July 17th, which meant the funds didn’t hit my account until July 24th. Next time I intend to hand deliver and see how long that takes.

I find it takes 7-10 days for notification of receipt, then another week or so for funds to credit.

The help article says the following:

So you’ve got a little more waiting to do yet :slight_smile:

Oh that’s been updated recently then

Ahh ok. I’ve never used it so couldn’t say :man_shrugging:

Source for anyone wanting to take a look:

Tracked postage details are in there too if you wanted it to get there faster.

The cheque has appeared in-app :slight_smile:

It was an experiment, kinda. Had a parking refund from months ago for £42 and wanted to see what sending a cheque Freepost was like. Tbh, I’ve been anxious it was lost in the post.

I’ve now got an HMRC cheque for £110 tax rebate that I’m toying with sending to Monzo, but really don’t fancy spending the money on tracked post. Might just open a Barclays or HSBC account this week to deposit cheques via imaging instead for the convenience.

Edit: just opened a B account to deposit the cheque. Having now used cheque imaging I cannot fathom why Monzo haven’t adopted this and marketed it as a forward-thinking way to tackle cheques for the time being.

17 Likes

Depositing by mail is fine. Don’t forget lost checks can be canceled.

It is common with some banks in the US even though ATMs take deposits and Apps can deposit by picture. Some older people prefer it as they may not be online.

I have done it without issue.

I get what you’re saying.

But I wouldn’t dream of sending cash via post, so it feels weird sending a cheque.

And it didn’t negate my point - a digital bank with no branches in the high street are a bank who should definitely have a digital option for cheque depositing.

5 Likes

I’m not sure why a simple photo of the cheque sent to Monzo by email from the email address linked to the account wouldn’t suffice? There’d still be the days to process but it’d cut out the week long delay for postage.

I believe that they need a licence to process cheques digitally. Which is why there is such a long delay.

4 Likes

They don’t process the cheques as far as I know, a license is needed for that too. I think NatWest still does it for them.

1 Like

I think the issue is they needed to be on boarded to the Cheque Imaging Scheme and they date they where given didn’t align with current priorities,

2 Likes