Make some notifications optional

In Android it’s possible to filter app notifications through a nice Android settings page. For Monzo, a variety of notifications have been categorised nicely so that you can turn on/off notifications for account credit/debit, actions, spending reports, important things, etc.

It would be really super handy if it were possible to filter notifications for certain types of credits/debits.

Repeating payments / standing orders / direct debits, for example, are something that some people care about and some people don’t (or might even care about on a case by case basis). Whilst some people want to know that their rent has gone out, for example, other people are happy that their mortgage is going out and they don’t need to be notified. This might be a tricky one to get right and make everyone happy, but with a bit of thought there’s a good resolution somewhere I reckon.

Similarly, “Active card check” notifications can be a little distracting, so it would be handy if you could turn those off.

What do you think?

3 Likes

I definitely think this should be an option! :+1:

1 Like

I would like something like this but handled by the app itself since iOS doesn’t support notification categories - it’s all or nothing.

2 Likes

This has been suggested a few times in past (Selective Notifications, Configuration options for certain notifications) - I agree with the suggestion.

This what I posted back in Nov’17.

https://community.monzo.com/t/selective-notifications/27623/3?u=sc95

1 Like

Would be good to turn it off on a vendor by vendor basis.

If you use Monzo for contactless TfL transactions, you’ll get a notification at 4am in the morning when TfL collects the money for the previous day’s travel.

I also get paid at 2am in the morning, would be good to silence that notification.

I don’t want to turn off notifications during the night generally, if someone steals my card and starts using contactless, I want to know about it.

2 Likes

I agree with this. For some reason this has never affected me before, but last night I was woken up by four direct debits!

Maybe just silence it for DDs and leave it on for card payments? Or have an optional switch for times of day. Personally I would expect that if you woke to find someone had used the card overnight, it wouldn’t be too late to claim it back, as long as you’d have a valid claim anyway.

2 Likes

Both Android and iOS have extensively customisable settings for muting all or some notifications during the night.

I don’t think I’d ever turn specific notification off :see_no_evil: Mostly due to security.

Monzo providing instant notifications for every single thing offers piece of mind - if, in the unlikely event, somebody has obtained my card details somehow and decides to register my card on Amazon, I would have no clue that an active card check had been done and I would only realise something was amiss when that mysterious person sticks a couple of 4K TV’s in their basket :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s always nice to have options but I don’t think Monzo should offer the choice to disable one of their USPs :sunglasses: If I ever want my phone to be quiet, I just stick DoNotDisturb mode on :yum:

2 Likes

Distracting, but often the first time you notice your card has been compromised so you can block it before there has even been a charge.

1 Like

These only appear to be split by debit/credit - not card/DD, and not by time.

No, I was referring to you being woken up by notifications. Your phone already has ways of preventing this.

Yeah I dont want to turn them all off, but all Monzo ones would be OK

but… I want to be woken up by unexpected transactions, I just don’t want to be woken up by stuff I’m expecting, this is not limited to direct debits or direct credits - ie, in my case, TFL transactions too, or other monthly expected transactions via card that are not standing order or direct debit, ie Spotify, Netflix etc.

Yes, phones allow you to turn off all notifications, or all notifications during certain times, but that’s an all or nothing approach. The whole point of this thread is “make SOME notifications optional”, that’s the subject, the subject is not “turn notifications off during certain times”, if it was, I’d be first to point out that can be done already.

I don’t buy the opinion that Monzo won’t ever allow disabling notifications from certain vendors/transactions on the basis of security, because obviously, we can disable all notifications entirely (or all off time-based, like at night), which is riskier.

1 Like