Made By Google 2018 (Upcoming hardware event)

made-by-google

We’ve had some chatter across different threads about the upcoming Pixel phones, a rumoured Google smart display etc, and what else they might announce. The event is just over a month away and so far all we really know about (thanks to numerous leaks) is the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL.

This is all quite exciting if Google plan to maintain the pace of last year’s event where they introduced quite a lot of stuff.

Sadly, although there were numerous rumours, it seems the Pixel Watch won’t be one of them. If you’re in the market for a new Wear OS watch, I’d wait until the new Snapdragon wearable processors come out and pick something up with one of those in.

Google Home Max just became available here in the UK as well as in Germany and France, so it seems unlike we’ll see a refresh of that next month.

https://9to5google.com/2018/08/30/google-home-max-france-germany-uk/

Just for reference, at last year’s event, the following were all announced.

Pixel 2
Pixel 2 XL
Pixelbook
Pixelbook Pen
Pixel Buds
Google Home Max
Google Home Mini
Google Clips
Google Daydream View

It’ll be interesting to see what else Google have up their sleeve for this one. Google Home Smart Display seems like the most obvious one, potentially a Buds refresh too, but I’ve no idea what else!

7 Likes

Pixel watch :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind so much but a lot of the ‘fashion’ ones are ugly and short on some fairly obvious features.

1 Like

I was really hoping for a Pixel Watch too :pensive:

Still, I think Google is in an interesting place. They have a great hardware division now, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have to build everything themselves right away. It’s possible they might co-sign a product made by another company that they’ve worked closely on, and this could also be revealed at the event.

The LG Watch Style, that I have, was similar in this regard. The packaging even says “Designed with our friends at Google”.

IMG_20180901_163609

I wonder if it’s possible that this is the case with the rumors, because evleaks mentioned that Google would announce a watch and he’s not usually wrong.

Might not be a Pixel Watch completely designed and built by Google, but a new flagship device in collaboration with someone else.

That might not have a place at a “Made By Google” event though. Guess we will find out soon!

I’d like to buy a new smartwatch. I currently have a Huawei Watch. I have had it for a few years but it has stopped getting updates etc and I would love to be able to make NFC payments with my wrist.

I was going to wait for the Pixel Watch so now I am a bit stuck :frowning:

1 Like

Qualcomm are announcing their new wearable chip in 9 days.

I would imagine they’ll have some launch partners, so I expect we’ll know about a lot of new Wear OS devices before the Google event anyway.

Wear OS is pretty much consistent across devices, so it all comes down to hardware and aesthetic in the end.

1 Like

YAY! I am definitely going to keep an eye out then. :slight_smile:

Pretty sure the requirements are they can only add apps (like Huawei did) and add watchfaces. It’s much more locked down than phones but I think that’s a good thing.

I’ve yet to see anything as good as the huawei watch coming up. They all add things like NFC, and also massive bezels, dials, etc.

It’s the ‘fashion’, but it means I’ll be sad if/when my watch dies as I likely won’t replace it.

1 Like

That’s true. If something isn’t right, I’ll wait rather than blow my money. Interesting to see what they come up with!

I’m considering the Skagen Falster 2 when it arrives soon. Very nice watch with NFC, GPS etc. It on the current chip, but I can’t see that being a problem for the next few years. Skagen-Falster-2-Wear-OS-980x523

1 Like

I think that watch looks great, but my LG Watch Style has the same processor, so I don’t think it’s worth me personally upgrading until something is out with the new chip. Love the look of the Skagens though for sure.

So does this new chip mean that someone will have to design a watch around it, or will watches be released at the same time, having collaborated in the lab?

1 Like

Usually Qualcomm have partners and at least one partner device gets announced with the chip, from what I recall of past events.

2 Likes

Nice. What I wouldn’t want would be to ask for the latest watch for Christmas, and then see an even better one launched a week later at CES

I just read this article about how someone left a Pixel 3 XL in a Lyft car :joy: reminds me of when someone at Apple left papers of the iPhone 4 in a bar… What’s worse?

1 Like

A bunch of Pixel 3 XL’s were stolen and sold on the black market. Not sure how many but there’s probably a few hundred or maybe even a thousand out there being used on a day-to-day basis between the stolen ones, the ones being tested by Google employees, and the ones being tested by carrier network testing employees all over the world, so I’m not surprised this happened!

3 Likes

Disappointed about the watch, but I’ll see what comes along with the new chips.

2 Likes