Labs Feedback: Joint Accounts šŸ¤

Something that Iā€™m struggling to find, that I thought would have been an obvious thing, is a way to move money between your joint and personal accounts without needing to faff about with account numbers and sort codes. Is that something thatā€™s in the pipe?

1 Like

:raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

Yes! Itā€™s super simple and already available.

6 Likes

Haha, how did I manage to miss that? I swear I was looking all over the place, but for some reason didnā€™t think to check the payments tab.

OMG! WHATā€™S THAT BEHIND YOU??!!!

runs away

10 Likes

Me and my fiancƩe got ours setup as soon as I got home and looking forward to getting the card.
I hope the card is sufficiently different in colour/design.

One question that was brought up at the Labs event was about Support Tickets that are created by one person being visible to the other, I know this may be difficult to implement, but I definitely think itā€™d be a great idea for transparency with both people. Or at least to email the transcript of Support Tickets.

2 Likes

It is :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Removed Posts - 13/7/18

Tim, one of Monzoā€™s engineers from the live event yesterday, said that theyā€™re sure theyā€™ll stick with the decision to not have both parties see support tickets on joint accounts.

I personally think this decision is wise, centered around the notion that if one partner was being abused by the other and needed help from Monzo, theyā€™ll feel safe knowing they can talk with their bank without the risk or retaliation or harm.

11 Likes

Thatā€™s a completely fair reason.
I was looking at it from the point of view of issues, but nope that works for me.

1 Like

+1 for separate tickets here. it might be nice to have a CC in option to allow your joint account holder to be copied on tickers on an on demand basis but definitely not for all tickets by default.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what help you think Monzo will provide someone in that situation?

Monzo can freeze the account for both parties, thatā€™s it. As soon as that happens, clearly everyone in the relationship will know what has happened (in your example).

Both parties being able to see the support tickets would be far more useful - If there is an issue with the account (a payment, or a bug), it would be ideal if both account holders could track what was happening.

If there was someone in an abusive relationship, I would hope they would seek the proper help, and not talk to a banks customer service.

Edit - @glasgowā€™s suggestion of having the option for a support ticket to appear on both or just 1 is a great option.

For me and my wife, weā€™d always have the ā€œbothā€ option ticked, because it would allow us both to keep track of an issue. If one of us was busy, the other could sort it out and see what had previously been said/done.

Appreciate that having a single option could be of benefit to others.

2 Likes

That would be the best compromise!

Someone being controlled might want to ask if they are legally allowed the money, they may have had the card taken off them by the abuser and want to know how to transfer their money, might be planning to leave, might give a safe address. All things they want reassurance the other person has no chance of seeing.

5 Likes

From the Live Stream, technically NO, you have have many users for this account (like all housemates)

But right NOW, its limited to two people (that you trust!)

There is a problem in that its not very obvious for those people that donā€™t understand or know what a financial association is

1 Like

Morning all, thanks for all the feedback so far. Hereā€™s what weā€™re hearing from you - and what weā€™re doing.

• Weā€™re working to make it simple for you/us to close your joint accounts.
  • Weā€™ve had reports of crashing on Android.
    • Weā€™re investigating!
  • Not enough clarity on the financial implications of opening a joint account (eg. your credit score)
    • Weā€™re seeing if we can make it clearer in the T&Cs or sign-up flow.
  • Switching between accounts could be clearer.
  • Making it clearer which account youā€™re on throughout the app.
    • Also working on it.
16 Likes

Update: Apparently the joint account has now been cancelled for me, I was asked to log out and log back in and now Iā€™m getting the following error: IMG_0264

Customer Support are aware.

Can we also have a consolidated feed option putting all transactions from both accounts in a unified feed - maybe some sort of marker to say itā€™s joint and maybe the users picture circle to determine who made the transaction?
Colour coded line chart (say coral for main and blue for joint?)

That way we wouldnā€™t need the clunky ā€œView x Accountā€ button.

On the account page surely it would make more sense to have both cards shown there and move pots to a separate page with a tab selection at the top toggling between joint and personal

Just my thoughtsā€¦

3 Likes

How does an invitee get notified that someone wants to set up a joint account with them?

Iā€™ve invited my girlfriend but she says she hasnā€™t received anything. She uses monzo as her main current account. Granted she might not be looking in any of the right places, so she might have received something and not know it, but at the moment Iā€™m unsure whether she should have received something or whether it takes a bit of time and it just needs some patience.

Push message and notification on the feed screen. Has she turned on joint accounts in labs? (Not sure if she needs to as I joined pre lab but might be needed now)