Just paid from the wrong account, I think better app design could have prevented this

I’ve just quickly open the app to make a payment and sent it from the wrong account.

• On the dashboard I saw my joint account card front and center, and a list of payments which all happened to be from my joint account. In my mental model I’m currently “in” my joint account (rightly or wrongly).
  • Switch to payments tab, missed that my personal account was selected at the tab and scrolled down to see the payee which I’ve only ever paid from my joint account. Reinforcing that I’m “in” my joint account. Maybe sharing payees between joint/personal accounts is useful for some people, but it isn’t to me.
  • Start the payment process - now I cannot see which account I’m paying from. Shouldn’t is say on the confirmation page which account the payment is from? I’ve just stepped through it again (without confirming, so maybe I missed something at the end) but there doesn’t seem to be indication of which account your payment from once you’ve started a payment?
7 Likes

You can add your thoughts to this thread, but it’s something lots of people agree on.

1 Like

Why the hell are payees shared between accounts?

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t they be? They’re people I pay.

Because it assumes everyone uses their joint account the same open way with the other party. Not everyone will want that.

If it was the other way round (not automatically shared), you’d be able to ‘share’ payees by simply adding them again into the joint account. But it can’t work the other way round.

1 Like

Oh no no, not my partners payees, mine that I’ve paid with my personal account or joint account.

I have the same issues and its starting to become a bit of a pain with this UX issue.

If I go into my joint account and click on payments and make a payment why does the app not recognise that I am making a payment from that account. Why do I need to select the account again.

This issues has made me reconsider opening a business banking account with monzo.

4 Likes

This has happened to me several times in the past year, and is also becoming a bit of pain to the point where I’m willing to sign up to this community, find a feedback thread and post here.

When you select a payee, detect the most recent account I was viewing and select it for me, or prompt me to select/confirm/change the account I want to pay from.

3 Likes

Hi @bights-luff & welcome :wave:

I agree the process is not exactly clear-cut. Here are my :android: flow examples:

• If the ‘pay a payee’ is :monzo::monzo:, you get the chance to select the preferred source account

• If the ‘pay a payee’ is :monzo: → non-:monzo:, you have to first select the source account in ‘Payments’ before you go through the entire ‘Pay someone’ process, and it’s up to you to double-check which source account is being used at the very last step before the payment is made

Not great. ideally, both types of payments should be the same as the first example above.

1 Like

Yup, I’ve had this a few times and its annoying. Seems like the app was designed without joint accounts in-mind really. Poor you can’t see what account the number is coming from at the point of putting the money amounts in.

3 Likes