✅ Joint Account cards should be different colour!

Hi,

Just joined the community forum :slight_smile:

My joint account card has arrived!! All looks great except one or two points:

• Joint and single account cards should have a different design in my opinion. Even if it’s a simple symbol or mark.
  • Would be great to have an easier/faster way to switch accounts in the app (Android).

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Welcome to the Community! :wave:

As it happens there is a simple symbol or mark on the new Joint Account cards:

But unfortunately the incorrect card design was sent out by accident to some users - see below.

As for switching accounts, they are working on improving the flow of this - here’s a preview of a possible new flow:

4 Likes

‘And we’ll send you a shiny new joint account card too – with a different design so it’s easy to tell it apart from your old one.’

Note the ‘easy to tell it apart’ bit which it most certainly is not! Having ‘Joint Account’ written on the same coloured card does not make it EASY to tell apart.

Might need to 're think this Monzo.

1 Like

Sorry missed the last message. Look forward to getting a differently designed card.

1 Like

Received new joint account cards yesterday - after a mistake (sending out old design ones).

The new ones are identical to the old ones, except for ‘Joint account’ in one corner.

Absolutely useless. How many people have a wallet or purse that actually holds cards in such a way as to show the difference? This was a mistake, Monzo. We’re cancelling our joint account, as we both feel this is a ridiculous decision which is clearly the result of putting branding above UX.

Try harder, please.

Although you may be disappointed in their decision I’m yet to see any bank do a joint account card in a different colour / design.

I agree there could be a bigger difference but isn’t cancelling your account a bit extreme?

4 Likes

Unbelievable.

2 Likes

Literally the entire premise of Monzo is that they do not follow the conventions of the high street banks. this was an opportunity to improve UX. It failed.

It’s the design they’ve had on twitter, blogs and here for weeks and weeks. Not sure why it was a surprise

1 Like

Your disbelief makes all sorts of tacit assumptions about the visual ability of both parties to differentiate these cards effectively in day-to-day situations. So thanks for that.

1 Like

Hadn’t seen it; assumed ‘redesign’ was actually that.

Even if the label’s not visible in your wallet / purse, I generally don’t struggle to remember which order I put my cards in, in my wallet..I’d just keep them separate, one at the bottom, one at the top or whatever.

But if you’re willing to cancel your joint account over this then you obviously don’t value it much anyway so that’s fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Indeed not - it was an experiment; we don’t need it; the ability to distinguish easily between cards is currently of more use to us than having a joint Monzo account - we’ll keep using our existing joint account (very different card design, simply by nature of being a different bank) as we have been, as there’s no benefit to having the Monzo one at the moment.

(And again, that’s great that your lack of issue with this forms your assumptions about others)

2 Likes

I’m glad you’ve figured out your own solution :+1:

Thanks. I’m keen to hear what special set of circumstances makes this scenario unmanageable for you.

1 Like

Thanks, but I can practically hear the condescension dripping from ‘special set of circumstances’, so I decline to engage further on this subject.

1 Like

As you say a different bank has a different design, but it’s presumably the same as their single accounts?
I’m curious as to what benefits you thought a Monzo joint account would provide over a personal Monzo account? The feature set should be the same in theory.

I suspect more work will be done on card designs in the future but the simplicity of just having the text in the corner makes it easy enough to distinguish in my view. Although I do appreciate it could be more clear.

Yes, absolutely (again - Monzo’s premise is that they’re doing things differently).

Just the potential convenience of having everything in one place - but with Faster Payments, etc., the draw isn’t strong enough if the existing arrangement is satisfactory and easy enough to use / manage.

Monzo is one big experiment at the moment - some things will work for people, and some won’t. I like the UX of my account, in general. The app seems to be getting a bit bloated since they added the last couple of features, so I hope they do some optimisation soon (~5s to balances loaded and app ready to take input, after FaceID has finished, on an iPhone X - that used to be sub-1s).

2 Likes

They are working on iOS performance as we speak :iphone:

1 Like

Good to hear.

1 Like

I should note at this point that I have evangelised quite a bit for Monzo - as I do for any company which I feel is getting it more right than wrong. I’ve handed out more than my share of golden tickets. This one was a frustrating experience, though - from the misfire with the old card design, to the near-pointless barely-different new card design which doesn’t appear to have taken into account actual UX.

1 Like