Is the Monzo complaint system also broken?

You may remember I had a few issues transferring a large amount out of my account on a Friday a few weeks ago.

Well, I was advised (by Monzo staff) to raise the problem as a complaint. I did that (and I was very clear that no individual was at fault, that everyone tried their hardest, but it seemed like the system/communication was broken).

A week later, I got a follow up email asking for photo ID. I sent that last week. Today I received the following copy and paste email (the (*) was in the original email they sent :person_shrugging:t4:):

Hello there (*)
ļ»æ
ļ»æIā€™m so sorry for the delay in getting in touch, weā€™re dealing with a high volume of email requests at the moment.
ļ»æ
ļ»æHow can I help you today?
ļ»æ
ļ»æKind regards,
XXXXXXX
Customer Operations
Monzo Bank ()

(I deleted her name at the end of the email for privacy.)

At this point, Iā€™m really confused. So now what? Is Monzo not actually reading complaints? Or just not communicating to staff? Or do staff not know how to access previous emails?

I replied explaining that I raised a complaint, here are the details, and Iā€™m waiting for a response. I have zero confidence that Iā€™ll get a reply to my complaint. And I have a lot of confidence that Iā€™ll waste the next few months trying to get Monzo to fix something that they should be doing by themselves.

When we say Monzo customer service has collapsed, this is what we mean.

15 Likes

I think someone is trying to re-raise your limit?

Monzo raised a complaint for me, I didnā€™t really even say anything bad, but they raised one and then followed it up pretty swiftly in the end. They didnā€™t need/ask for ID and didnā€™t even ask me if I wanted to complain.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure someone once mentioned being asked for photo ID before for a complaint.

Sounds like itā€™s gone into the general email support queue rather than back to the complaints team

1 Like

But then if they read the previous emailā€¦

Well yes, youā€™d think theyā€™d be able to see that

Maybe they need photo ID for the complaint if itā€™s via email, so you canā€™t pretend to be someone or whatever.

This is one of those scenarios that would really help to actually talk to someone.

1 Like

I just want to say this line feels slightly tired. I feel like they have been ā€˜dealing with a high volume of customer enquiriesā€™ since 2018 :sweat_smile:.

Maybe someone will eventually admit thatā€™s just the normal number of enquiries for a bank?

12 Likes

Absolutely no problem with them asking for photo ID.

I do have a problem with: ā€œhi, how can I help you todayā€ after I already explained in far too much detail exactly how you can help me today.

12 Likes

Yes, staff have said on the community before that if a customer contacts them by email, they may need to carry out ID verification before being able to reply.

OP, were you specifically asked to email your complaint in rather than use the in-app chat?

1 Like

They didnā€™t specify how I should make the complaint. But itā€™s a lot of text plus screenshots, so I canā€™t do that in app.

3 Likes

Hello there @urban :wave:

How can I help you today?

3 Likes

Did you email complaints[at]monzo[dot]com?

Removing the symbols in case the email gets auto formatted or deleted by the forum.

I got a prompt reply after an investigation a while back, for a different issue.

1 Like

This is a bit strange, it sounds like you reply/response might have been routed to the wrong inbox :confused:

1 Like

That could be it. I used Resolver, so if they did route it to the wrong place, I retract some of my anger :joy:

Iā€™ll try just emailing direct and see how that goes :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Why not just put a complaint in to Monzo directly?

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand resolver me, not when you can just contact most places direct.

2 Likes

Why did you use Resolver?

Why Resolver: it started when I had trouble with O2 - they refused to port my number and I couldnā€™t speak to anyone senior to handle it (the non-UK call centre didnā€™t know anything about Ofcom rules). I tried emailing/tweeting, but no luck. Then I used Resolver and it was resolved(!) within a few hours.

Then I used it for a couple of other companies and got incredibly fast response times (hello Plusnet and Nationwide) and now itā€™s my go to. Often they send it to a non-first line support team, so it gets fixed in one contact.

They also send updates to follow up, and keep all the correspondence in one place.

This is the first time it hasnā€™t worked (Iā€™ll admit I went straight to Resolver without looking for a complaints email for Monzo).

So yes, big big fan of Resolver.

Iā€™d never use it for first contact. Itā€™s only when something has gone wrong with customer service and CS canā€™t fix it.

2 Likes

Oh right, personally I just email the CEO office. Thatā€™s never failed, you get through to a higher tier complaints person who actually understands what youā€™re going on about. Or can at least research the issue and come back with an answer which is generally resolved.

Iā€™ve never made a complaint to a company

If they piss me off I donā€™t use them again

Monzo once opened a complaint without me asking but thatā€™s it

2 Likes