iOS 15

One thing I have found is better is the stability of activating hotspot from other devices. On iOS14 activating hotspot on my phone from my iPad was a bit dodgy but working perfectly now!

1 Like

Builds are the same, just one group gets them before the other.

You’ll see this yourself, usually when the public betas get involved. They’re the same build too, more often than not, they’re just pushed out last after Appleseed and developers have had a week or two to play with them, all other things being equal.

1 Like

I agree with you completely, generally developer and Appleseed track with identical builds released at the same time, although they use different profiles. Clearly this would allow them to diverge if it was thought necessary.

It is the public beta that is generally a week behind, with the same build but released later. This is to allow for emergency fixes, if needed, before the public receive a build - but that actually happening is very rare. On the rare occasion it does happen, an updated beta is usually then released for beta/Appleseed at the same time to sort the issue.

The exact timing of the “public delay” varies depending on where in the beta process the current testing release is (towards the end the delay will often be only hours, for more stable builds, compared to days). At this time of year, around WWDC, the first few betas are always developer only and the public beta track often continues on a x.x beta track for an upcoming summer point release. This is what happened last year, and it’s currently happening again with iOS 14.7 now in testing simultaneously with iOS 15. Developers could also be testing iOS 14.7, with the iOS 14 profile, but obviously Apple is not expecting them to test it extensively as they focus their attention on iOS 15. The public beta users are therefore ideal at filling the gap.

TL;DR there are three tracks to the betas: public, AppleSeed and developer. Developer and AppleSeed are almost always identical but public diverges more often.

2 Likes

Having run the iOS 15 dev beta for the past week, I can say it’s been pretty great. One respring so far. The biggest issue is around the redesigned safari. They must’ve tweaked quite a few bits in the background as it seems to hang a lot and I need to exit/relaunch a few times to get it moving again. I expected issues so no biggie.

I also installed it on my iPad and like the new Safari more than I expected. I do, however, hate the new Home Screen. I was one of the minority who preferred the widget side bar – the current layout is just bad as widgets/icons blend oddly and the layout isn’t the same in portrait and landscape

On iPad I’m also missing the old display. Haven’t really played with widgets but the automatic implementation isn’t great!
Had a respring today trying to change volume on the Apple TV remote but my first one I think!
I get the safari thing, it does some weird things for me when trying to google and stuff but never paying attention enough to see exactly what happens……

There are some bugs in IOS 15, some affect the App Store where it fails to load the account page.

I hope people who are on the beta are reporting bugs into Apple.

@JayJayWM If it doesn’t install on the iPad, then log it via the developer portal that you have access to and they will if its a critical bug investigate.

1 Like

I’m also on the beta, I’ve noticed FaceTime links don’t work yet and a few other little bits are glitching here and there.

I’m sure apple will sort these out by the final version though. I’m loving it so far

So the iOS beta has been getting slightly more annoying as time goes on. Safari hangs quite a bit and needs restarting every time I switch to/away from a page with a video embedded. Gifs/video also seem to be quite choppy at times. No biggie, expected as much.

I also had my first (ever) shutdown. I get resprings every now and again, but this time the phone just switched off and I needed to turn it on with the power button. Odd

Hopefully a beta 2 is just around the corner now

1 Like

Dev Beta 2 is out. I’m curious if it solves my bugbears with Safari or if it introduces some new issues. Watch this space

Also, Maps has a new icon, and I don’t know how I feel about it.

I prefer the maps icon for sure - never liked that US highway/interstate sign or whatever it was.

Am on second beta on my iPad now too.

Hopefully only a couple of weeks until PB now and I’ll get my phone updated too :crossed_fingers:

Ah, completely forgot that the old icon had the US sign! I think it’s better in that respect, but not sure how I feel about the colours. I just wish icons were all updated to match those on macOS

1 Like
2 Likes

By the way (I know it is frowned upon) does anyone have a good, working way of blocking ads on YouTube? Not too long ago they came back and it’s horrible. I saw three(!) unskippable HSBCxShelter adverts on a 5 minute video. And no, I won’t pay for YouTube premium. If it was anyone else I gladly would

2 Likes

This isn’t a judgement on you (I’ve done my fair share of questionable tech activity) but I always find it interesting how many people happily use services from subsidiary companies whilst disliking the parent.

The canonical example is usually Instagram and Facebook.

I dislike Google but within their portfolio, YouTube is the worst offender. I’d gladly never use it but sadly there is literally zero competition

1 Like

What do you mean by worst offender?

Out of all the things Google does, I hate YouTube the most. But I also dislike almost everything else Google does. But let’s not turn this into a why I hate Google thread

1 Like

I’m very guilty of this myself. I think as @ndrw says, it’s often a lack of viable competitor.

I have nearly removed Google from my life but literally can’t stop using YouTube for various trailers/info videos etc etc.

Another personal example: I’m still struggling to decouple events from Facebook. A number of friends just make an enormous message group nowadays (which is still WhatsApp anyway), but I really like to have some sense of who’s actually coming and for a big event, there’s a massive difference in visibility between X attending and who actually sends a real reply in a group.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I do find myself looking for Google alternatives these days, although I’m still heavily in their ecosystem.

I’m not so keen on some of their practices, but ultimately I give them a pass because of the value I get from their “free” services.

YouTube ads did start to become ridiculous a while back, which is when I plumped for my Indian Premium workaround.

2 Likes

I am finding reachability doesn’t work in safari. It might be because the address bar is now on the bottom, but I feel there are some websites where it can be useful. Been trying a bit and just can’t get it to work!

1 Like